12 - It Leads To This

Ziggy's talk to Claire's parents went smoothly. He was surprised that they were surprised he coming. Apparently, Claire only told them she had a guest coming. They assumed it was Maddy. Ziggy can tell Claire was nervous the whole time. It's adorable, really. It also helped take out his nervousness too. Sure they hit it off during Claire's show but that doesn't mean he will be approved as their only daughter's suitor immediately.

The food Claire's mom prepared was delicious. Ziggy made sure to compliment her. Claire smiled timidly at him. They talked about random stuff as they ate lunch. Oscar asked about Ziggy's background. He asked about his childhood and growing up in San Diego. He asked about his parents. He can't help but think her dad already know what he's there for.

They sat on the living room as Susana served some dessert. Claire is really quiet. She only spoke when she was asked about something. Ziggy thought he should just say it. It kills him to see Claire uncomfortable.

Ziggy sat up straight and cleared his throat "Mr. Alfonso, Mrs. Alfonso, the reason I am here is I want to tell you personally that I'll be courting your daughter, Claire".

Susana smiled and Oscar sported a serious face. Ziggy swallowed.

"This is totally unnecessary, really. I'm an adult I—" Claire broke the silence.

"Let the young man say his piece, Claire" Oscar cut off her daughter. "Go on, Ziggy. We're listening."

"Your daughter is one of the most amazing person I've ever met. And I really, really like her" Ziggy declared. "I have asked her and she already agreed to go on a date. But I figured I should tell you too. I want to make it clear that I mean no funny business and I am serious about her".

"It seems like your parents raised you well" Oscar said after a moment. "Claire is right, she's an adult and we trust her to have the best judgement on her own life".

Ziggy heard Claire exhale in relief. She looked at her and smiled. She smiled back.

"Do you like this man, Claire?" Oscar asked her.

"Yes, Papa" Claire almost whispered.

"It's rare to see Claire this quiet especially over a guy. She must really like you too" Susana gushed.

"Mama!" Claire looked down, embarrassed.

"I appreciate that you took the time and effort to talk to us" Oscar said. "I like that you are somewhat traditional. You got our blessing".

"Thank you, Sir, Ma'am. I promise you, I would never hurt your daughter" Ziggy smiled at them gratefully.

"We'll see" Oscar squinted his eye on him.

"Oh, shush!" Susana reprimanded him. "Feel free to call us Tita and Tito, Ziggy. She can take care of herself pretty well but please look out for her still, okay?"

"I will" Ziggy beamed at Claire. She shook her head but returned his smile.

Ziggy smiled as he recollected what happened. He opened Twitter to browse a bit and maybe annoy Claire. Most people really liked his album. There's even a trending hashtag for him days after the release of the album. He opened the hashtag and read some tweets. Almost all of them are from his fans with some casuals. There are rogue Leslie Santos fans that are bitter he managed to release an album before her. He ignored them.

A lot of people are requesting for "Like You" to be the next single. He thought about it for a moment. They were supposed to release "Unstoppable" as the second single but he figured they can change it. He feels like Aurora will approve. After all, it's what the fans want and honestly, what he wants too. He composed a tweet.