Chapter 23: A Fatal Mistake.

I felt the panic rising inside of me, so I decided to hide for a minute to calm myself. I hurried into the kitchen and started to fill the kettle, noticing my hands shaking as I heard voices in the hall.

‘Breathe in and out, in and out, in and out’ I repeated in my head. I snapped back to reality as I realised the kettle was overflowing. I poured out the excess and snapped on the lid before switching it on and reaching for the mugs.

“There you are!” Zander exclaimed from behind, making me jump and causing me to drop the mug I was holding. We both watched as it smashed on the floor.

Zander frowned, “Kat, are you okay? You look pale”

I nodded furiously as I reached to pick up the pieces; then hissed as I felt pain.

Zander groaned “You’ve cut yourself, come on,” he sighed pulling me up and helping me step round the broken mug before holding my hand under the water.

“You’re like a zombie, are you still concussed?” He asked as he dried the cut and fastened a plaster around it, frowning at me as if trying to see some sign in my eyes.

I shook my head and looked at the floor.

“Everything okay in here?” Charlie’s voice came from the doorway.

Zander nodded, “Don’t worry, I think Kat’s still recovering and she’s a little nervous is all. We all keep telling her to relax” he chuckled as the kettle clicked, “ah, it seems she was making drinks, what would you like?” Zander asked the guests, changing the subject and making me relax slightly as attention was diverted away from me for a moment.

They made small talk as coffee was prepared and I sat quietly at the table resting and raising my hand to slow the bleeding.

It turned out Charlie had brought two other men with him. I had already, very briefly, met Leo, however the other was another new person. I was getting lost with all the ‘suits’ who worked for ‘Lentz’ company.

When I finally looked up at them I noticed Leo’s piercing dark eyes hadn’t appeared to leave me. I didn’t care what Hal had said about him being cuddly, he was just the stalking lion to me.

“Oh Kat, sorry this is Leo and Grey. They are Charlie’s main men of sorts” Zander explained.

I gave a quick smile to acknowledge them.

Charlie then turned attention back to me.

“So Kat, have we ever met before? You seem….familiar” he frowned, staring at me like he had the first time I met him.

I quickly shook my head, I must have looked like a deer in headlights.

“Erm, no not at all” I smiled.

He shrugged, “Ah well, maybe you just have one of those faces” He chuckled.

I didn’t really understand what he meant.

The room fell back into an uncomfortable silence.

Suddenly a phone rang and the man called Grey walking into the hall to answer it.

“So, where are you from originally?” Charlie asked trying to start the conversation again.

“All over” I cleared my throat as words seemed to get stuck there, “My mother and I travelled quite a lot as I grew up. Nowhere was ever really…home” I shrugged.

“Her mother was murdered last year,” I felt my eyes grow wide as I heard Zander speak.

Charlie frowned, “Murdered? By whom?” he looked at me.

“She doesn’t know, she’s looking for family and clues” Zander said.

Just then Grey marched back into the room.

“Sir, we have to go. Trouble at the club.”

Charlie got to his feet swiftly, “Sorry Zander we shall have to resume this another time” he put on his coat, I noticed the curiosity about me had grown in his eyes as he didn’t stop looking at me as he spoke.

A knock on the door was their cue to leave, and just as swiftly as they had arrived they were gone.

Zander walked back down the corridor, “Sorry about that, but its good Charlie knows. He had friends in high places, I’m sure he’ll help you. He loves a good challenge” He smiled taking my hand and pulling me into his arms.

He led me into the living room; this rollercoaster of emotions was making me exhausted so I was glad we could just relax now. My heart raced as he pulled me close to him, his nose nuzzling against my hair, dropping kisses onto my neck.

It seemed wrong and right all at the same time. I couldn’t help how I felt about him, could i?

As his lips reached mine I felt my emotion pour out and nothing could stop me. All my loss, all the memories that kept being brought up, it made me need more than ever someone to care for me. He became my security.

And that was the night I made a fatal mistake.

I became head over heels, in love with him.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year! I've had to up my story to PG-13, i think thats right.

I have actually written one of the last chapters to this story, so i know how it ends, i just need to get there now! Lol. Thank you for your continued support despite my slow updates! New years resolution is to finish this book as soon as possible for you all!

Best wishes for 2015

MillaB x