Chapter 10: Someone to Love Me

I walked into the bedroom in my towel, the light in the room was fading fast, casting long shadows around me.

I flicked through the remaining files lying on the bed, all these pages probably meaning something, but not to me. A final plastic wallet caught my eye, a beautiful oval silver locket inside it. I removed the locket from the sealed bag and gently opened it. (See picture, though its meant to be oval)

Inside was a picture of my mother and father happily together. They were looking at each other, seemingly oblivious to the camera. They looked so in love, I just hoped that one day I would find someone who would look at me like that.

I slid it carefully over my head; I wanted to feel close to my family if only in spirit. Once dressed, the chain was long enough for it to fall unseen behind my shirt.

It was time, I decided. It was time to stop all this running and get some real answers.

I went to sleep that night with a plan formulating in my head. I would find my father, maybe if I could get to him, I could save myself, but who knew what his reaction to me turning up would be.

I didn't set an alarm, enjoying the comfy bed. I slept late and took my time getting ready, not really wanting to throw myself into the world that awaited me.

I walked into the village and to the phone box in the centre. I hadn't got a mobile, it was too easy to be tracked, but who did I need to call anyway.

Inserting the coins I dialled the number I'd found on the pages of names and photos.

“Hello?” A demanding voice asked, “If that's you Aaron then it had better be good news,” he growled.

I was shocked at the voice, “I....er....”

“Who is this? How did you get this number?” The voice commanded. “Jasper, I swear if this is another of your childish pranks I will have you grounded, I don’t care how old you are”

I was frozen, the voice wasn’t like anything I had imagined. It had a strong authoritative tone that made you want to follow every command without need to question. Only I couldn’t say anything, I wasn’t expecting anyone to pick up, let alone talk.

“Excuse me.” A voice coughed behind me.

I jumped back to the present, quickly slamming the phone down. I spun round and came face to face with a middle aged gentleman.

“Have you finished on the phone?” He asked.

I just nodded and took a step away from the phone.

I found a bench nearby and sat to calm my racing heartbeat. I didn’t know how to deal with these emotions, I was terrified but intrigued, whilst flustered and unsure.

I decided caffeine would have to be my next option. I walked into the small café ordering a filter coffee and settled down with the newspaper. I was about to start reading when I saw the date.

Next week was my birthday, with all the running, time, dates and life had just passed me by.

Next week was the anniversary of my mother’s death.

I wanted to go back and check on the grave, someone had to keep it nice. I pulled out my wallet. Since banks were a paper trail I kept most of my money in a brown envelope in my bag. It may seem dangerous, but then what wasn’t about my life.

My wallet was almost empty, and looking in the envelope I realised that was almost empty too. Staying in B&B’s was expensive, even with the money I had saved.

It was time to get a job. I settled down to read the adverts in the papers they had lying around. As I looked through the different jobs, all the qualifications needed were distracting me. Apart from my waitressing I had nothing, since I hadn’t even been able to stay long enough to finish my first qualifications. No-one would employ me, even the retail vacancies required a basic maths and English qualification. A tear landed on the page in front of me, as I realised overall, it wasn’t a job that I wanted or needed, it was a family.

I was just a lost little girl, looking for someone, anyone

to love her.

Hey guys, Just have to get this out.....

I got 3 comments and 4 votes last chapter! To some that may not be much, but to me, it was EPIC!!! :)Once again, thanks to all who read. I've decided to bring the story on a year, so there has been some time missing in the story, but i hope it still flows.

I hope you continue to enjoy!

MillaB