Chapter 9: Who becomes two.

So, maybe I was wrong, maybe I did know the people chasing me. I thought at first it was someone associated with my father since we never spoke about him. But, since they saw her as expendable and in need of being silenced, maybe it was the organisation she was an agent for. I kept reading the last page. My mother, a secret agent of some form. I didn't even know she was a policewoman for a start. It seemed there was a lot I didn't know, and I had only opened the first pages.

This new information spurred me on. Who knew what I would find next.

The next folder was full of ordered bank statements and receipts, nothing majorly wrong with that, people often like to file away their transaction details.

However, there was nothing normal about the amounts shown here. Each receipt was for hundreds of thousands of pounds, paying for undisclosed items. One particular transaction even reaching several million. The amounts of money here would feed a nation. Who on earth were these people.

The pages continued with list of people, their photos and contact details. This looked like one of those stories on the news of a banker 'accidentally' leaving peoples detail on the train.

I just scanned through the names, when suddenly one caught my eye.

There next to the name was the picture of a man only ever dreamed of as a man with no face. But here he was staring out of the page infront of me.

'Charlie (Charles) Lentz'

(Picture in the side bar, or details page on the app.).

Looking further across, there was a phone number. I found myself staring, burning a hole into the page as the numbers I had wanted for years were right there in front of me. I felt a throb of hurt from my chest. I'd never been upset by a lack of a father, since I'd never known one. But this was different, seeing his face finally made it....real.

Then began the internal battle of whether to ignore this new information or to follow its lead. On the one hand I always wanted to know my father, just hear his voice, but on the other I couldn't just ignore the fact that my mother had kept this from me. There must have been a reason for that.

Putting the page aside there was a sealed packet containing fragments of metal. On closer inspection I realised that they were misshapen bullets, obviously having already been used. I was about to open the packet when I froze. Finally the pieces were fitting together. The statements, the names, the bullets. This wasn’t just some random mix, this was evidence. Clues leading to the conviction of all the suspects listed.

Being more careful now I found a CD labelled ‘computer files’, there were photos obviously taken by hidden cameras of people meeting. I didn’t look at many of them as it also contained images from the victims of the bullets as well. It made me feel ill, and then I realised it wasn’t just a feeling.

15 minutes later I was laying my head against the cool tiles as I ran a bath. This had been too much to take in. As I lay in the bath I thought about all that I’d found. This was like a jigsaw I had to put together. I made a list in my head.

My mother had been on a mission.

She had been taken off the mission and deemed dangerous.

She had gone into hiding but been killed my an unknown organisation.

I had a box full of evidence.

All of this was too much for my tired brain. I stood and as I stepped out of the tub I froze. Of course! It was obvious, the answer staring at me the whole time.

On the mission, my mother had fallen in love. My father being a suspect in her investigation. He finds out that she’s an agent and so she went into hiding, only for him to find her pregnant. I’m welcomed to the world and the running continued. The evidence which is wanted by both sides was concealed by my mother, leaving her with a target on her back. No wonder I kept finding people after me if two different organisations were on my trail.

I wasn’t sure if not knowing would have been better.

 Hey,

I hope you get a better idea of where the stories going. Please let me know how i'm doing.

Big thanks to Ivy1fantasy for sticking with me and commenting :) it makes my day!

Hope you enjoy

MillaB xx