Chapter 30: The Princess is Home.

I decided it was time for a rest. I didn’t have to make excuses, I just had to yawn and they immediately were encouraging me to go back to bed. When I got there someone was putting in a tv.

“Thought you might like some entertainment while you’re on bed rest” Charlie smiled, coming with me to ‘tuck me in’. I think he was just trying to be a good Dad, but trying a little too hard.

“We’ve got all the movie channel things and stuff that I don’t understand. Leo and Zander set it all up for me, I just use it” He laughed.

Just Zanders name made my skin crawl. It hadn’t made it any better than he was my brother; in fact it probably made it worse knowing he was my relative.

“I want you to be at home here Kat.” He sighed, taking my unenthusiastic reaction to be anger towards him.

Yes I was pissed off at them, but at the same time I was starting to understand a little bit. We’d talked a bit more and it seemed that when something threatened their family there would be hell to pay.

“Can I just ask?” I spoke after a while of watching the guys trying to identify which plug went where. “Why did….well…you know…why did you think I was a threat?” I asked.

Charlie sighed and sat on the end of the bed. “It was a order made without my consent, they made the choice because of the circumstance. Some men from an intelligence agency came in looking for you. They said that you were their ‘property’ and that an investigation was underway. No specifics, just that.” He sighed, “The guys assumed you were working for the agency. They took you for questioning, but I think you probably were already ill, they couldn’t get much information because you weren’t conscious much. Someone found some evidence that suggested differently, I found out what had happened and that’s when you ended up in hospital.”

The thought of how close they’d been to getting me filled me with horror. The expression on my face must have said it all because next thing he was giving me a one arm hug.

“Look, don’t worry about that now. We can talk about this more another time. Right now you need rest.

I nodded and settled down for a sleep, my mind though full of questions, drifted off easily into sleep.

When I woke it was dark, the only light coming from the agar door. I stretched and once again got out of bed. All this laying around was making me stiff and sore. I shuffled my way down the hall. I tensed as I heard footsteps and a large man with a file appeared at the top of the stairs. I had expected him to react, but what he did next I wasn’t expecting. He stepped to one side and waited till I had passed before carrying on along the corridor. I thought about this curious development for a moment, but my mind drifted onto other things quickly. That was until it happened a second time and then again, and again with various maids or men in the house. I started to wonder if I smelt or something and they were just trying to get out of the way.

By the 6th time I was starting to get a bit irritated. I stopped in front of the man who had stepped aside.

“Why do you do that?” I asked him, my hands going to my hips.

The man’s eyes widened at my question. He cleared his throat.

“Do what ma’am?” He asked.

“Move aside when I walk….and what’s with the ma’am thing?” I frowned.

I noticed his Adams apple move as he swallowed appearing to be very nervous.

“You are Mr Lentz’s daughter, you are the princess. Ma’am is the way we are required to address you….ma’am” He replied.

I shook my head, “Where can I find my dad?” I sighed realising he would give me answers.

“Right this way, Ma’am” He gestured and led me to a doorway. He nodded his head before leaving me.

I shook my head at the strange guy. What was with the people in this house. I sighed and knocked on the door.

“Come in!” A voice growled loudly from the other side. I hesitantly crack the door open and peered inside.

“Sorry, is this a bad time?” I asked curiously. I was looking into a beautifully panelled room with a large desk in the middle. Papers and various pieces of tech were strewn across the table and behind it sat Charlie typing furiously.

He jumped up when he saw me, bumping the table slightly in his haste.

“Oh Kat! Come in, please.” He beamed.

I cautiously made my way into the room and sat in a large chair opposite him.

“How was your sleep?” He asked, “Would you like anything?”

“Good thanks, no I’m good” I shrugged. “Can I ask……people seem to be acting oddly. They stand aside in the hall and…the one wouldn’t stop calling me Ma’am and told me im the Princess.” I frowned.

Charlie chuckled and paused a moment before replying, “My dear, unfortunately for various reasons, women are a rarity in this household, other than the maids of course. You are the heir to this empire, you are effectively the ‘princess’ of the house. Women of such…power, well you’re an unknown. They are trying to determine….oh how do I put this..” He seemed to struggle with the words, “They are trying to work out where they stand with you. You have a lot of authority within this house because of your lineage, but that’s something we can discuss later.” He smiled.

“As for right now, you are to be on bed rest and unfortunately myself and other are going away, as much as I’d rather stay here and get to know you.” He sighed.

“I want you to make yourself at home and rest up before we get back” He smiled before getting up and coming round to me. He took my hand and pulled me up. The next thing I knew I was enveloped in his strong arms, his lips kissing the top of my head. It was a slightly awkward moment, but at the same time I couldn’t help but feel safe for the first time in a long while.

Hi Guys!

Now...before you say anything...just know the guilt, that i'm sure you are all sending my way, just know i'm feeling it. All i can say in my defence is when im not working i'm sleeping and i find myself thinking about this story at random moments....the guilt just ever increasing.

Anyway! that aside, please enjoy..it will be a bit fillerish for a bit to tie up loose ends and develop this new area. I am writing this from my head, (a thing my teacher used to complain about alot, about my lack of a plan) but i enjoy it more this way.

I hope you do too. Best wishes!

Milla B xx