Chapter 5: Don't Look Back

Chapter 5: Don’t Look Back

“Charlie” I whispered, the name of my father whizzing round my head. He didn’t even know I existed.

From how worried my mum sounded in the letter these were not people to underestimate. I could hardly think straight with all the facts being thrown at me; I felt like I’d been thrown into a whirlpool and was slowly drowning as it dragged me down. I put my head in hands as I tried to come to terms with all the information.

I needed to go, that much was certain, but…go where? Home? That was probably being watched. The police? Well they didn’t seem to help mum. My dad? If he’d been safe to find I’m sure Mum would have done that years ago. Tears sprang to my eyes as I realised I was alone, truly alone. I roughly wiped the tears from my eyes before they fell and straightened up with new found determination. I could do this, Mum trusted me and I wouldn’t go down easily without a good fight.

I had a quick shower then put back on my t-shirt, hoodie and jeans.

I paused by the bed and picked up the teddy my mother had given to me many years ago during one of the more troubling years of our lives. As a child I could never understand all the moving and sneaking around. I used to cry at bedtime, not letting my mother out of my sight, afraid that one day I would wake up to find her gone. I pressed the hand and a lullaby played, one which she would sing to me occasionally to put my mind at ease.

(Goodnight by Evanescence)

Goodnight, sleep tight

No more tears.

In the morning I'll be here.

And when we say goodnight,

Dry your eyes.

Because we said goodnight,

And not goodbye.

We said goodnight,

And not goodbye.

My silent tears rolled down my cheeks, slowly racking my whole form in sobs. I played the song again as my legs collapsed under me and I fell into a heap on the floor. I knew I had to be strong, but no preparation could prevent the pain I felt for the loss of my mother, my lifeline, my world.

The next few days passed almost as a blur as I moved between B&B’s in a zombie-like state, making up various stories as to why I was alone when questioned in conversation, my new name ‘Katherine’ slipping easily off my tongue. Though my mum told me to go far away I couldn’t go without seeing her one last time, I needed to say goodbye and have my closure. No bloodthirsty, sick, bastards were going to take that away from me. Through short trips to where she used to work I managed to overhear the arrangements for her funeral.

The day came and I slowly slipped on a plain black dress and pinned up my newly dyed blonde hair. Looking at myself in the mirror I tried not to be upset over the loss of my mousy brown locks which my mother had always admired.  

On the bus I continuously fidgeted, smoothing out my dress as the funeral home came into sights. Taking a deep breath I walked in and after explaining that I was a relative I was allowed into a small room.

Taking another long breath I opened my eyes and looked upon the box open in front of me. A pale still figure was lying there looking so peaceful. After a time I slowly reached out to touch her face, the cold stone like figure asleep in a bed of flowers. As my fingertips lightly brushed her smooth skin, a cold sinking feeling fell through me. I quickly drew away, turned and ran from the home, stopping only to gain my breath as I hyperventilated around the corner. I hadn’t truly believed it till then.

I followed at a distance as they took her to the cemetery, and stood hidden during the service. There were quite a few people, including many men in smart expensive suits. Apart from the employee’s she had worked with for the last 6 months, no one seemed to show any emotion of remorse as she was gently lowered into the ground.

As the group walked away I took the chance to step forward and place my flowers next to the new grave. “I love you mum” I whispered, “Don’t you worry now, I’m going to make you proud, just you see. You sleep well now.” I let a single tear fall into the hole and just as some of the men started to do a double take I ran off into the shadows.

Now I was ready.

Ready to leave this town, leave Kristine and Elaina Smith behind. I bit my tongue and fought against the pain in my chest.

As I walked away I didn’t even look back.

A.N: Hey, thank you so much for reading so far. Sorry the chapters are so short at the moment, i'm just trying to build into the story and work out how i'm going to take it to where i want the plot to be. I would be ever so gratetful if you could drop me a comment or maybe even a vote to let me know if you like/hate things and how you think it is so far. :)

I'm adding songs to each chapter (Which are found on the right hand side of your screen) and also the occasional picture collage type of......thing. So you can copy and paste it i will put the link in the comments for you to have a look if you would like.

Till the next chapter! Many thanks, MillaB x