Chapter 22: Trapped

Chapter 22: Trapped

I could feel myself being moved, but my mind had shut off almost as if shock had affected me.

“Put her in here.” I heard a distant voice giving direction as a hand gently tapped my face, “Don’t worry I think she’s just fainted, she’ll come round in a minute”

“Has she eaten today?” Another voice joined in.

“I don’t know,” a third voice replied.

A door knocked loudly and creaked as it opened, “Kat! What happened?” I recognised this voice. I managed to lift my eyelids and blinked a few times, groaning as I felt a throbbing pain in my head.

“Hello there” A man I didn’t recognise was leaning over me. I jumped and started to panic, trying to back away.

Suddenly the man was pushed aside and Zander’s face replaced it, “Shh, its okay Kat. You passed out, but its okay you’re just in the club. That was a doctor who was here for the evening” He smiled stroking my hair gently.

I slowly started sitting up.

“Whoa there, you should stay still, it was quite a fall; you hit the bar with your head” A voice spoke behind me. I turned my head slightly and saw my father looking at me, “I think I might have to deduct the cost to repair the dent from your wages” He chuckled.

My eyes went wide, “Oh, I’m so sorry, i…” I started to shake.

Zander frowned, “Kat….Kat!” He shook me gently trying to gain my attention. I looked back at him, “He was joking” He reassured me and threw Charlie a dirty look.

Charlie groaned, “Look, maybe Zander should take you home. I can’t have a concussed waitress tottering around” He sighed, “I’m sorry I didn’t get to meet you properly today, I’ll come by tomorrow to get to know you. I make a point of knowing all about my employees.” He smiled, but I could see a hint of something that resembled suspicion in his eyes, “I hope you feel better,” he nodded to Zander who scooped me up into his arms. I was confused, but if I was concussed I suppose that was to be expected. Things happened in a blur and soon I was back in the flat being placed on the sofa. Zander disappeared and returned with a cold compress for my head which I gratefully lent against.

Zander wouldn’t let me sleep for a while, monitoring my headaches, dizziness and confusion. I was thankful that the nausea soon disappeared and with my concussion not seeming to be too bad he finally let me relax into a restless slumber.

My agitated dreams that night were filled of me interacting with my father in various scenarios, each ended badly and I finally awoke with a start, my body shaking and a cold sweat across my skin. I tried to calm my erratic breathing and slowly sank back on the bed, only there was something in the way. Jumping round I saw Zander lying there next to me, covered in a throw whilst I was under the duvet.

He groaned and rubbed his eyes, “Kat? Are you okay?” He asked suddenly much more awake.

I nodded but saw his frown at my damp forehead.

“I just had a nightmare” I reassured him as he put his hand to my head.

He nodded before lying back down, his hand moving to rest behind his head. His brown hair was a mess, his eyes slightly dark from a lack of sleep.

“Why….why are you in here?” I asked curiously, no longer interested in sleep as the fear of the dreams reoccurring was still fresh in my mind.

“You had concussion. I couldn’t risk you puking in your sleep or something. I don’t want police snooping round here if you died” He shrugged and gave me a slight smile.

I gave him a small returning smile and rolled my eyes at his comment.

“Thank you” I said quietly after a silent pause.

“For what?” He asked

“Everything. I was no one, now I’m….well…..more of a someone than I was” I shrugged.

Zander looked confused, “Seriously, are you talking in riddles. I think we need to get your head looked at. Oh…wait no it’s just that you’re a girl” He chuckled and flinched as I reached over and punched him playfully.

We stayed where we were for a while longer, both of us just comfortable in each other company. I reluctantly got up when Zander informed me that we had guests coming, but my mind snapped to reality as he reminded me that Charlie was the one paying a visit.

We hurriedly got ready and gave the flat a clean. It was only then that Zander told me he actually rented from Charlie at ‘mates rates’ and was not, in fact, the owner of the flat, hence the manic tidying.

All too soon the doorbell rang and I saw dark shadows within the frosted glass of the front door as Zander went to answer it. I suddenly felt trapped within the small apartment, I had been running all my life and now I was cornered.

Hi All,

Long time, no update i know, but things have been a little hectic with birthday, illness, graduation and general work/xmas stuff!

Hope this satisfies some of you who are asking for an update. My wattpad has been a little messed up, but i'm sure its just the new layout teething problems. Anyway, thanks for all your comments, votes and overall constant support.

Best wishes,

MillaB xx