Chapter 31: Waiting for the Storm.

The next two weeks passed by every slowly. Charlie was gone and I’d been left in the care of the monster housekeeper who had me on very strict bedrest. I could barely go to the bathroom without her making me answer 20 questions about what I was doing.

The latter half of the weeks I was finally allowed to roam freely round the house and, with many people gone, I found it fun to snoop without being caught. The place was a mansion! So many guest rooms all decorated beautifully, but looked like they hadn’t been altered in decades. Apart from the various pieces of technology the main décor of the whole house looked like it was stuck in the past. There was a gym, swimming pool, mini cinema, games room, many offices as well as the usual bedrooms, living rooms…yes plural and dining rooms, one of which looked more like a mini banquet hall. However the most bizarre of the lot was the firing range I found in the basement. Of course my mother had trained me in firing weapons, but I thought it was just her paranoia, however how many houses have their own personal firing range.

The next thing I found out on my travels was information on the family business. I couldn’t help but overhear discussions about shipments and money exchanges. Whilst all this snooping kept me occupied for a while, by the Saturday I was completely bored out of my mind and feeling stir crazy being stuck inside.

I was lying on the sofa examining the ceiling for the twentieth time when a yell had me sitting up, the thought of there finally being some excitement had my curiosity buzzing.

I peeked into the main entrance hall to see people running in all directions, others barking orders. Some of the men I’d seen round the house rushed to awaiting cars and before I knew it, it was all over. I called over one of the younger maids who would barely look at me, but I knew would answer any question I put to her.

“What was going on?” I asked her. I had learnt over my here time that if I wanted something answered or done I had to be demanding and not show weakness.

“There’s been some issue with the masters return, they have gone to assist” She sighed, “But don’t worry Ma’am, I’m sure all will be fine” She smiled.

I nodded, “Thank you, you may carry on”

She nodded and scuttled off after the other staff. I thought it strange, but I almost felt…worried for the safety of their return so I waited, watching the gates. I was still in conflict with my thoughts, but there seemed to be a lot I didn’t know and two sides to this story.

An hour and a half later a procession of cars sped swiftly down the driveway and came to a halt in front of the house. I opened the door to see the men falling out of the cars, many nursing various wounds. I felt panic rise in me, I scanned the group for my father and felt the relief when I saw him climb out of one of the vehicles. He looked exhausted and stressed, followed by Leo who just looked angry. I felt my stomach feel funny for a moment, but my worry quickly replaced that feeling.

As they filed into the house I saw my father look up and do a double take at me in the doorway, a small smile coming to his face, though it didn’t reach his eyes.

“Kat!” He said coming over to me. I frowned at the dried blood on his head and clothes.

“What….what the hell happened?” I asked shocked as my eyes followed Leo as he stalked past and upstairs, a door slamming loudly soon after.

“Don’t worry, most of it isn’t mind. We just met some…unhappy people on the return journey” He shook his head and took my hand, “but never mind me, you’re looking a lot better. It was worth coming home just to see my beautiful daughter waiting for me” He smiled and walked with me.