Chapter 18: So Close, Yet So Far.

I dressed quickly for work and soon after there was a knock at my door telling me that it was time to leave. The silence in the car was deafening as Zander sat next to me driving through the streets.

Once inside the club he stalked off to the office without a word. I greeted the guys at the bar and went off to the changing room. Lisa arrived soon after I did and rapidly the evening repeated the activities of the night before.

Occasionally strange men entered the club, coming and going from Nate’s office. Around 1am there was a short lull in the drink orders, so I took a much needed break from by sore feet hopping onto the stool to which Hal sent a drink to me, sliding it down the bar. I laughed as he did a silent celebratory dance when I caught it. Tim, his usual unimpressed self, just shook his head as he put an order together.

“When you two are finished goofing around, this needs to go to the boss” He motioned to me.

I nodded and made my way to the office with the laden tray, pausing to knock on the door before being called to enter the room. As I entered I was startled to see so many people inside, all seemed in deep conversation.

“…but Charlie isn’t going to be happy about this, I can’t believe you let it happen again, how hard can it be to catch a…” A sudden hush cut the dialogue short.

Nate looked up and smiled as I walked in.

“Ah Kat, how are you this evening? Thanks for the drinks” He smiled as I set them down.

“Good thanks, it was pretty busy earlier and I think it’s starting to pick up again.” I smiled sweetly, annoyed that I hadn’t got to hear more about Charlie. “I’ll just be getting back” I nodded and left, hearing the murmur of voices starting again once the door clicked shut. I stood there and sighed before Lisa yelled for me to go and help.

The night sped by and before I knew it I was falling into bed again.

The rest of the week carried on and after a while I slipped easily into the role of a regular waitress. I carried on staying with Zander, though he hadn’t been around much since that night. I know I barely knew him, but I found myself staying awake at night waiting to hear him come in, though he would leave in the morning before I woke up.

Finally Sunday, my one free day came round. I woke about midday as usual, venturing out of my room. However today there was the sound of soft snoring coming from the other bedroom in the flat. I smiled and walked along to the kitchen looking inside the cupboards for the ingredients I wanted for breakfast.

As predicted, once I started cooking I heard the door down the hall opening. I peered round into the hall to see a sleepy looking Zander shuffling to the bathroom. I tried to stifle a giggle at his adorable ‘just woken up’ look, which wasn’t hard as I suddenly realised there was burning occurring.

Soon I heard the shuffling sound moving towards the kitchen.

“Pancakes?” A croaky voice asked.

I turned and smiled at where Zander was peering into the frying pan with the cutest innocent look on his face. I quickly turned my head back to the stove to hide my blush and just answered with an agreeing hum.

I finished the stack and then brought them over to the table excitedly taking one and munching away. I hadn’t had homemade pancakes for a year and there was something so nostalgic about them that I could feel my eyes water at the memories.

“I’m Sorry” Zander suddenly said loudly, breaking the silence.

I looked at him questioningly, “What for?” I asked.

He looked confused, “For the other night. I didn’t mean to have a go at you. You’d been kind helping me clean up and…well…I like doing things on my own” He tried to explain.

I shook my head, “Its forgotten” I smiled, which seemed to clear the air for the remainder of breakfast.

The rest of the day we spent relaxing, watching films. It seemed Zander was just as happy to have a slob day as I was, not surprising since he looked exhausted.

As the second film came to an end I looked over to see him fast asleep his head against the arm of the sofa. I carefully walked out of the room and collected the rug from my bed before returning to cover him with it. As I did so he stirred and looking at me through bleary eyes he gently pulled me next to him. I stiffened at his touch, but he didn’t appear to notice in his sleepy state, just continued to pull me and snuggled his head against mine before falling back to sleep. I sat there stock still for a while before realising I couldn’t escape without waking him up, not that I actually wanted to move. My heart was beating hard in my chest and my head was screaming at me to push him and run, but somehow I just couldn’t. It was comfy and cosy being held by him. I chucked the rug over us and as I relaxed his arms snaked further round my waist, holding me fast again him.

I resigned myself to his hold and after a while I found myself drifting off, only stirring momentarily when he moved to lay my head against his chest.

Hey,

I'm trying to update as i can. I love comments and i completely understand people asking for an update soon. However, can i please ask those who are sending private messages demanding me to finish as they are getting bored to have a little patience please!

Also, please don't ask to translate my story, i might change my mind but at the moment i'd rather nobody took my story and uploaded it elsewhere. I understand there are foreign readers, but for the moment i'd rather it stayed here as i have control of editing etc...

SORRY! Rant over :P hope you guys all keep enjoying, and all lovely comments are very welcome. Thanks also to those highlighting issues, i'm grateful for telling me things i probably missed in my speedy proof-reading!

Best wishes

MillaB x