Chapter 28: Never to be Found

I felt like I was back at school as the nurse reprimanded me for running off, especially since the run had apparently set my recovery back by a few days. I pleaded with her to let me release myself, but she even threatened to get a doctor to section me as she believed I could be harmful to myself. What on earth had they told her about why I was here!

Leo refused to leave me, only standing outside when the nurse requested, his expression showing he was clearly unhappy about it.

I fell asleep with the medication she gave me and woke the next morning to Leo sat by my bed looking at his phone, a doctor going through my chart. “Ah, the escapee has awoken!” He smiled at me. “Gave us all quite a cause for concern”

I looked away, still miffed that I’d been caught.

“Anyway, your test results came back this morning and it seems you are okay to go. Your antics last night only reduced your energy, so you’ll be on bed rest for the next two weeks. Only short outings allowed later next week and definitely no running” He chuckled. “We have to get the papers sorted and your release is set for after 12pm so you’ve got a couple of hours yet.” He smiled, “I’ll come and check on you just before you go, enjoy your morning” He put the chart away and continued with his rounds.

I sat there, not really sure of what to say or do. My mind was racing with thoughts of needing to escape.

“I’m not leaving. You’re my responsibility and I won’t have you disappearing on my watch” Leo gave me a smug look.

I sighed and flopped back onto the pillows, kicking myself mentally as the slight impact hurt my sensitive head.

I lay in silence watching the seconds pass by on the clock on the wall in front of me. I found myself breathing in and out to the tick of the second hand, the minute hand not seeming to move fast enough for my liking. I must have zoned out for a while as I jumped when the door was opened abruptly and in walked Charlie and Grey. Charlie looked even worse than yesterday. Leo nodded at Grey and silently walked out of the room.

Charlie stood awkwardly by the door and cleared his throat as if to say something, then seemed to think better of it. I was unsure of what to do, but I pointed to the chair and he gratefully accepted, sitting down awkwardly.

“So…the results came back” He said quietly, seeming more interested in his hands all of a sudden. He cleared his throat again, “Seems like…er…. Well…”

“Let me go” I said in a quiet but confident voice. That made his head snap up to look at me.

“What? No, i…” He frowned trying to find the words.

“I think you’ve done enough” I whispered tears springing to my eyes, “I came to find you and should have known I would be disappointed.” I looked away, hatred in my voice. I may have been weak some of the time, but I was sick of being trapped and people treating me this way. After all that though, I felt the pain of losing something inside me.

“No! I…”

“What? Going to keep me locked up for life!” I glared at him, “How do you think people will react when they know what you ordered on your own daughter!” my voice cracked, these men all acted on Charlie’s orders, I doubted any of them, other than Zander, had given the instruction. I suddenly realised the feeling. I’d experienced it twice before, once when I found out about my mother, again when Zander hit me….i suppose everything does come in threes. I was heartbroken and I suddenly comprehended that I had nothing. Not even a tiny bit of optimism to hang onto, as Charlie had been my last hope.