PROLOGUE

I am more than just a cheerleader who rules at high school and seeks the attention she loses afterwards.

I am more than just a shallow girl.

I am definitely not an airhead.

I am Valyra Baron, and mark my words, I will make sure that my existence leaves a good impact on society-- at its present state and in its future.

><><><><

That's what I wanted to tell the others, but it's not like they'll listen anyway.

"Hey," my friend Stacey said. "Coach just announced a road trip for our win."

I gave her a smile and a nod, but I was still distracted. Something disturbing happened this morning, and I can't figure out why it disturbed me.

"Valyra!"

My head snapped up. "Yes, Coach?"

"Come with me, sweetheart," she beckoned me over and led me to the sidelines. She lowered her voice when she spoke. "I know tournaments are over and we won and I should just let you go, but I feel like you aren't being yourself," she kindly said. "If this is about the little slip-up you did last weekend in the championships, I've already told you that I've never seen a slip-up more gracefully handled than that."

Coach Alysse looked really concerned. I know that was over and done with, so that wasn't a problem. Then a thought entered my mind that maybe she could help me.

"Coach," I began, twisting my fingers in nervousness, "I don't want to be a cheerleader all my life."

"And?"

Even though she said it like she was waiting for what I had to say, it looked like she already knew what I was gonna say.

"I want to be something else," I admitted. "But I feel like, with the way things are going, people aren't inclined to give me a shot at anything other than cheerleading."

"Was it because of your chemistry test this morning?" she asked curiously. Coach Alysse knew practically everything that happens in this school, so I wasn't surprised to hear she already knew about that.

I nodded.

"Don't sell yourself short because others do, sweetie," she advised with a motherly smile. "I mean, hey, who's going to Harvard? You are. That's because you're not others' perception of you, okay? You're you."

I gave her a tight smile and shifted on my feet. She really knows what to say. I mean, I guess that comes with the sport, too. If we don't know what to say, we can't cheer people up.

I took a while to process what she said, and before I got back to my teammates, I thanked her.

"Oh, and Valyra?" she said as I started to walk away. I turned towards her to see her face dead-serious.

"Don't limit yourself to thinking the thoughts of others because the only way you'll make a mark in this world is by sharing a part of yourself."