06 | the end [part four]

A chill runs down Kendall's spine as she stares at Lucifer. No matter the challenges she's faced or the hunts she's been a part of none of them could have prepared her for this. A dance with the devil in a world gone mad.

Lucifer studies them carefully. "Aren't you two a surprise."

Thunder sounds and lightning flashes and then Lucifer is behind them. "You've come a long way to see this, haven't you, Dean?"

They whirl around and take a step back, Dean shuffling a half inch in front of Kendall as Lucifer leers at them. She appreciates it because this isn't really her fight. And while she would normally be quick to run her mouth and let it bite her in the ass later, the presence of Lucifer, looking angelic despite being the personification of evil, is too terrifying for her to form words.

"Well, go ahead," Dean says. "Kill me."

Lucifer looks confused at the stance Dean has taken. "Kill you?" He looks to where Future Dean lies dead in the grass. "Don't you think that would be a little...redundant? And you, Kendall?"

Kendall does her best to send Lucifer her attempt at a glower, but she's sure it falls flat under his chill stare as he waves a dismissive hand at Future Kendall's corpse. "I know you hadn't planned to see this either, considering your role in this story was supposed to be small."

Kendall swallows and shuffles where she stands, finding the courage to speak. "Not if it's a role that involves sending you back to Hell where you belong."

"False bravado doesn't suit you," Lucifer quips. "What do you think, Dean?" When Dean doesn't answer, Lucifer sighs. "I'm sorry. It must be painful, speaking to me in this—shape. But it had to be your brother. It had to be."

Lucifer, the bastard, has the audacity to reach for Dean's shoulder. Dean moves back, forcing Kendall to take a step backwards in the process. Lucifer presses his lips in acceptance, removing his hand. "You don't have to be afraid of me, Dean. What do you think I'm going to do?"

"I don't know. Maybe deep-fry the planet," Dean tells him brazenly. Kendall is torn between wanting to talk smack and smacking some sense into Dean.

Lucifer studies a rose for a moment then looks away. Kendall can't help but listen intently as Lucifer waxes poetically about the world his Father created. Tells the story of how he fell from grace when he was cast to Hell because he refused to love humans more than God. His disdain for human life bleeds through in his words.

Though Dean hasn't lost his voice like Kendall, he's clearly shaken from the encounter. Because it's Lucifer or because Lucifer's wearing the face of his brother, Kendall isn't sure. But as he rightfully calls Lucifer out for being just another supernatural pain in the ass, his typical brand of smartass doesn't come across as convincing as it would have anywhere else in Kendall's eyes.

Once Dean has given his speech, Lucifer only smiles. "I like you, Dean. I get what the other angels see in you." His eyes drift over to Kendall leisurely and he clicks his tongue. "Unfortunately, you didn't quite meet my expectations, Kendall. Perhaps next time. Goodbye. We'll meet again soon."

When Lucifer turns to walk away, Dean stops him with his words. "You better kill me now!"

Kendall sends him a disbelieving gaze. She's not the only one as Lucifer stops to look back at him. "Pardon?"

Dean stands his ground. "You better kill me now. Or I swear, I will find a way to kill you. And I won't stop."

Amusedly, Lucifer takes a step closer. "I know you won't. I know you won't say yes to Michael, either. And I know you won't kill Sam. Whatever you do, you will always end up here. Whatever choices you make, whatever details you alter, we will always end up—here. I win. So, I win."