20 | laissez-faire

[this chapter contains sexual content]

Kendall sits in the living room of her apartment, singing along to "This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)" by Natalie Cole that's playing on the radio as she cleans her knives. She's fresh off a shifter hunt with Mac and had just finished showering as she now debates whether she wants to cook dinner for herself or head out to get something to eat.

She's heavily leaning towards the latter when there's a knock at her door. "Coming," she hollers out, setting her angel blade on the coffee table and moving to turn the radio down. Expecting to see one of her family members, on her way to the door she says, "Y'all know you're supposed to call before you show up unannounced, right?"

She unlocks and opens the door, eyes widening when, to her absolute shock, she finds Sam standing on the other side. With a big grin, a duffle bag on his shoulder, and a bouquet of purple irises, Sam shrugs. "Yeah, but then I wouldn't have gotten to see that priceless look of surprise on your face." He presents the flowers to Kendall. "Happy belated Valentine's Day, Kendall."

"Babe, holy shit," she laughs happily, jumping into his arms to hug him, almost causing Sam to drop the flowers in the process as he hugs her back, lifting her a bit off the ground. She moves back enough to look him in the eyes. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you," Kendall says, then kisses him, long and slow.

It's been some weeks since Kendall has seen Sam. That was fine in and of itself, but he had been dealing with some pretty heavy stuff lately. Traveling back to the past to meet a younger version of his parents and dying, having to get detoxed after indulging in demon blood, helping Bobby deal with a zombie outbreak that involved Bobby's dead wife, then getting shot and fucking dying again and being sent to Heaven, only to find out God has jumped ship from Earth like this bitch was the Titanic. It was more than a lot to take in over the phone, but she's willing to put all that aside to just enjoy his company in the here and now.

Kendall breaks the kiss and ushers Sam in, grabbing the flowers from him with a thanks and placing them on an end table. "All right, let me see." Sam drops his duffle next to the couch, letting Kendall lift up his shirt to examine the smooth muscles of his abs and chest. Aside from the expected scar here and there from years of hunting, there's no evidence that he was ever shot with a shotgun and bludgeoned in the stomach. Kendall didn't necessarily expect there to be, but the confirmation still brings her relief.

"Told you there was nothing." Sam smirks, crowding in around her and kissing her forehead. "You just wanted to see me shirtless."

"Is it that obvious?" Kendall peels it all the way off of him and he lets her. After she's tossed it to the floor, she gives Sam a gentle shove onto the sofa, straddling his lap when he falls onto the cushion. Sam stares up at Kendall through his eyelashes with a fixed gaze and a sated grin as he places his hands on her ass. Kendall snakes her arms around his neck, moving in closer, her head tilting to the side. "How are you doing?"

"Much better now." He sighs, head flopping backwards onto the couch. "Fully detoxed, but the God news doesn't help much."

"Yeah, I bet." She knows talk of deadbeat dads hits pretty close to home for him, so Kendall changes the subject for his benefit, carding a hand through his hair. "Where's Dean?"

"Dean's at a motel a few blocks away. He said, and I quote, 'I don't wanna be around when you two are making up for lost time, Casanova'." Yep, that sounds like Dean. Sam steals a quick kiss, hands moving to the hem of her shirt. "Which is definitely something I plan to do."

Kendall hums, letting Sam remove her shirt and toss it off to the side. "I know a few ways we can do that now," she tells him, running her hands down his chest. Kendall leans down to kiss him just as Sam readjusts her so she can feel exactly how happy he is to be here with her. She grinds her hips down and he lets out a low moan against her mouth. Kendall pulls back, nipping at his lip. "So, we gonna take this to my room or you wanna stay here on the couch?"