24 | the devil you know [part one]

5.20: THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

+WEST NEVADA

Kendall's gonna have to go ahead and admit that Pestilence is one slippery bastard. It feels like they've been on his tail for ages, yet they never manage to catch up with the Horseman. All they're greeted with is the trail of people he's stricken sick with swine flu that he leaves in his wake. Otherwise known as a whole lotta nothing.

Sat in the cab of Baby behind Dean, Kendall's resting her arms against the front seat as the three of them relay their shit luck at finding Pestilence to Bobby. "Well, far as I can tell, he's still heading east, so...head east, I guess."

Simultaneously, Sam and Dean ask, "East?" Dean continues with, "Bobby, we're in West Nevada. East is practically all there is."

"Yeah, well, you better get to drivin'."

Sam hangs up the phone and Kendall sighs, returning her back to the seat. She never assumed finding Pestilence would be easy, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

"Say." Kendall jerks her head to the right with wide eyes at Crowley's sudden appearance. "I've got an idea."

Immediately, Dean hits the brakes, tires screeching as he swerves the car to a stop. Sam whirls around and tries to stab Crowley with Ruby's knife, but Crowley's already disappeared and the knife plunges into the seat of Baby.

"Quick with the draw, but he's already gone," Kendall says, more than a little pissed off. "Asshole."

There's a quick knock at Sam's window and they look to see Crowley outside. "Fancy a fag and a chat?"

Last time they saw Crowley, a lot of bad shit went down. So, Kendall knows this conversation is gonna be a problem as she gets out of Baby and moves to stand to the left of Dean. She can already see the fire in Sam's eyes as he's rightfully upset with Crowley's reappearance.

"You're upset. We should discuss it." Crowley is studiously backing away from an approaching Sam. "Not here, but—"

"You wanna talk?" Sam continues stalking towards him, Ruby's knife gripped tightly. "After what you did to us?"

Crowley's incredulous. "After what I—what I did to you? I gave you the Colt!"

"Yeah, and you knew it wouldn't work against the Devil," Sam exclaims.

"I never!"

"You set us up," Sam declares. "We lost people on that suicide run—good people!"

"Who you take on the ride is your own business," Crowley yells when he feels backed into a corner.

Kendall brushes a strand of hair behind her ear, returning her hand into the pockets of her gray coat and trading a look with Dean

Kendall brushes a strand of hair behind her ear, returning her hand into the pockets of her gray coat and trading a look with Dean. Kendall can see he's angry, but his anger is more subdued than Sam's, which is a first. As has been the case since they were thrown into the deep end that was the future together, the silent looks they share are able to say a hundred things they don't have to say aloud.