Chapter 3

Marco spends the rest of the week being as annoying towards me as he possibly can. I think he knows that if I crack, I'm stuck here. I don't crack. Instead, I stay in my suite as much as I can.

I watch TV, study British laws and customs, play with my magic... Anything to keep me busy. The day before my birthday, I glamour away my long, clawed fingertips and turn my green veins blue, before fading my luminous green eyes to a mossy shade.

When I invite Liam in, he does a double take. "You look like a human."

"That's kind of the point. But there are always going to be things that can't be hidden." I think about the glass cut on my leg that disappeared within a day. After the healer was sure there was no glass stuck inside, there was nothing more to be done about it. Rapid healing is difficult to mask. "Are the physical differences between us and them really that different?"

Liam sits on a chair across from me and picks up a sandwich from the table. They were just brought in for me, but I don't scold him for taking without permission. I like having company for lunch. "Your eyes would give you away. Just as my skin would give me away." I like the purple tint to his skin. It's quite subtle, but still obviously inhuman. "But no. I don't think we are much different in appearance. The main difference is the magic within us." He eats his sandwich.

I eat a sandwich too.

"You were going to ask me something a few days ago, just before we were interrupted by the falling light." Liam begins. "What was it?"

"Oh, um." I feel a little awkward now that I'm not caught up in the moment. "I was wondering what you would say if I asked you to come with me to Earth. To appear just as a friend, but still be paid as a guard."

"I'd love to go with you. But if you're a university student, what would I be? I know you've already got an offer, and it would be too late for me to apply."

"You can just be the friend I live with. We can pretend your rich parents fill your pockets with money, so your time is all leisure. Only I will know that you're keeping an eye on me."

"You make it sound like babysitting."

"Oh you know I meant it like watching my back for any threats. As if I need a babysitter anymore."

"But aren't you planning on going under the radar as a princess? Opa's not exactly one of those kingdoms that people from other places stalk on social media to keep up with the latest gossip. People may know your name, but your pretty face isn't likely to be a target on Earth." I'm flattered by his use of the word 'pretty'.

"There will always be a target on my back, Liam. You know that. It sounds like you're making up excuses not to come."

"It's not that I don't want to. It's just... I may be your personal guard, but it's your parents who employ me. Have you spoken to them about this?"

"I never really considered that. I kind of just assumed that they would want me to have some kind of protection."

"Talk to them. I'll be happy to go with you if they agree."

"I'll ask at dinner tonight and will hopefully have an answer tomorrow. I would text you, but I'd rather tell you in person."

"And enjoy the torture of my not knowing?" He smirks.

I laugh. "Of course."

"You may slate the games of the nobility, but you can't deny you've picked up a few habits from them. Although I know you don't use the tricks in any political sense. You don't play with other people's lives like the others. That's what I like about you."

"Not my intellect or physical skills?" I joke.

"Those things too. But your kindness is far superior to those you grew up around." I blush.

There's a knock on the door. "Come in." I call out, removing my glamour.

"Little sister," Marco begins, before noticing Liam. "And the guard missing from outside. What's he doing in here all alone with the young princess?" He may be trying to insult Liam, but he only addresses me.

"What does it look like? I invited Liam in for lunch. And you don't have an invitation to stay."

"Pity. I'm going to miss out on all his attempts to charm you into giving him your body. Or maybe he already has your body and is just waiting for the day his kin can claim the throne."

"Marco!" I'm both disgusted and mad.

"Let me deal with him." Liam jumps in before I can start a real argument. I notice the wicked grin on Marco's face and remember what my dad said. I nod my approval. "If you want to insult me, say it to my face, not Alyssa's. Leave her alone."

"And who are you to give me orders, peasant scum? Any power you think you have comes from your uniform, not you. You may have worked your way up from the dirt, but you can easily fall back into the mud again."

Liam doesn't back down. "No, I may not come from a privileged background like you, but I have worked hard to earn my place here. You could just lie in bed all day and you would still be worshipped. And that might sound nice, but there's no honour in it. Shouldn't a future king have some honour?"

"Of course I have honour! I challenge you to a sparring match. Choose your own weapon. First one to the ground loses. And if you lose, which I'm sure you will, you will never speak to Alyssa ever again."

"And if I win, you apologise for every time you have ever insulted or taunted both me and Alyssa."

"You're on. Tomorrow night at 9pm sharp. Anyone late forfeits."

"Until tomorrow, your Highness." Liam spits out Marco's title like poison, before standing to make a show of bowing. It's not meant to show respect, the way a bow usually would. Marco, clearly satisfied by the bargain, turns and leaves without another word.

"Did no one think to ask me if I wanted a fight in the middle of my birthday ball?" I wonder aloud.

"I was so caught up I didn't even think about the time." Liam looks ashamed.

"Purposeful on his part. It's just another way to get under my skin."

"I should probably leave too. Marco wasn't wrong about how it looks that I spend so much time inside your rooms."

"Who cares about that? There's nothing between us other than friendship. As long as we know the truth, I don't see the problem."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Alyssa." He bows.

"Bye, Liam." Reluctantly, I let him walk out the door. I stare at the few cakes left on the lunch tray. Why does Marco have to ruin everything? I wonder.