Chapter 48

Three soft knocks on the door ease the awkwardness in the room. Liam slips through the door a moment later. I get up from my seat, glad to escape the tense conversation occurring between my jerk brother and new... boyfriend?

"Is it safe to go?" I ask.

"As safe as it can be." Liam replies grimly. "But I won't be able to give you much time with your father."

"I only need a few minutes." To say goodbye, I can't add, the words stuck in my throat. And although I speak the truth, both Liam and I know the difference between 'need' and 'want'.

"Are we all going, then?" Marco asks, turning round in his seat to give Liam a devious grin.

"What are you doing in here?" Liam narrows his gaze towards Marco.

"Searching for clues on what my mother's up to. And when I just so happened to bump into your travelling party, I had to explain what we've been up to."

Liam turns to me. "I'm sorry I never said anything Alyssa, but..."

"So it's true!" I slap him across the face, forceful enough that his head snaps to the side. His hand flies up to his cheek as he grimaces, regret shimmering in his eyes. "How could you not tell me you've been working with my brother and father? All this time I've been worried sick about what lies my mother's been pouring into their ears, and all this time you've been fully aware that they know her crimes and are working to stop them!" I yell.

"Damn." Marco lets out a low whistle.

"And you!" He looks taken aback as my outburst turns on him. "You've always enjoyed the drama. But you know what? This is between me and Liam. So shut up and stay out of it!"

"I'm so sorry." Liam apologises again. I notice his cheek has flared bright red. "I never meant for it to..."

"I don't want your excuses." I cut him off. My thoughts drift to the magical oath he swore to me. "When was the last time you held a weapon?"

Liam pulls his sword out of its sheath. "I would not be able to hold this if I had broken the terms of my oath, whether you knew I had broken them or not. This is my loyalty to you."

"Then perhaps I should have been clearer in my words." I snap. "Perhaps I should have specified that you are not to deceive me in any way."

Liam gets down on one knee, head bowed, and lays his sword at my feet. "Additions can be made to the original oath."

A gentle hand tilts my face away from the sight of Liam's humility. As my eyes meet Isaac's, I feel some of my anger drain away.

"Alyssa, now is not the time for this." He says softly. "I'm a little confused about what's going on, but I'm sure whatever it is can be continued later. On Earth. When we're safe. Right?"

"Right." I agree slowly, letting out a long breath. Stooping low, I pick up Liam's sword and hold it out to him. He takes it, rising with me. I look him directly in the eyes. "This isn't over."

"I know."

I turn my attention back to Isaac, passing him a vial of clear liquid from my potions pouch. "Invisibility potion. Lasts one hour unless you come into contact with magic water, in which case the effects wear off immediately."

"Noted."

"Marco, you go back to your own rooms. You keep your head down and your mouth shut."

"Hey! I don't take orders from..."

"It wasn't an order. But you're not coming with me, and no one else can know I'm here." I sigh. "Just tell me you can keep all this a secret."

"I promise. Cross my heart." He smirks, and I roll my eyes.

"Liam, you will lead the way to my father. Diffuse any situation that may arise if we pass anyone."

"As you wish." He nods in agreement. "And Alyssa?"

"Yes?"

"Don't take any unnecessary risks. I get you into your father's room and I get you out. That's it. Then you stay as far away from your mother as possible." There's a hardness in his eyes. I wonder how he would react if something went wrong. Would it break him emotionally?

"I won't."

I reach out for Isaac's hand and give it a squeeze. We drink our invisibility potions, holding onto each other. I enjoy the tingling sensation as the potion's magic mixes with mine, seeping into my body and hiding me from sight.

"Ready?" Liam asks.

"Lead the way." I reply. The potion may have made me invisible, but I'll still have to be careful to keep my footsteps quiet, and even my breathing.

Liam heads back towards the door. Isaac and I take tentative steps together behind him.

"Stay safe." Marco calls, as Liam reaches for the door handle.

In another situation, I would've held up a hand in an obscene gesture. But now isn't the time to tempt fate. And Marco wouldn't see the gesture anyway.

Liam pretends to take a leisurely walk around the palace, going at a casual pace to ensure Isaac and I can stay close behind. Every step I take is calculated, my feet hardly making a sound. I concentrate on taking quiet, shallow breaths. The feeling of Isaac's hand is my only reminder that he's here with me, other than the occasional shuffle I hear of his feet.

We weave through the labyrinthine corridors, Liam leading us a longer way round to avoid as many other people as possible, especially guards. We do run into a few guards though, who Liam shares a few polite words with as we pass. I hold my breath for the entire brief exchange, and not just to avoid making a sound.

Without incident, we get all the way to the corridor where my parents' rooms are.

"Hey." Liam greets the guards stationed by the ornate opal door.

"Do you need anything?" The one on the left asks, sounding bored.

"Yes, actually. Queen Dahlia sent me with something for the king. A potion to ease his pain." Liam's words cause my gut to twist, despite knowing it's a lie. It's an ugly lie.

"What are you, her messenger now?" The right-hand guard eyes Liam suspiciously. Butterflies dance around my coiled gut. I refuse to turn back now after we've gotten this far.

"No." Liam denies. "But I was having a word with her about the security around here and told her I was heading in this direction, so she handed me the vial.

"Let's see it then." The left-hand guard says.

"Here." He produces a vial containing a deep amber potion I never even realised he had.

The right-hand guard narrows her eyes towards the vial. She speaks after a moment. "It is a painkiller, but there's more magic lingering in this corridor than there should be." Have we been rumbled? I try to stay as still as a statue, but the butterflies dancing hurriedly and wildly inside me make it difficult.

"Let him in." The other guard says, moving aside. "You can go and check with the queen for your piece of mind, but it's Liam." He shrugs. "He'll only be a few minutes anyway."

"We still don't know who poisoned the king in the first place." The right-hand guard crosses her arms.

Liam looks taken aback. "You can't seriously be accusing me of doing it. And you said it yourself;" He swings the vial in front of the guard's face. "It's just a painkiller."

"Fine." She steps away from the door. "But I'm going to speak to Queen Dahlia about all of this."

"Be my guest." Liam replies as she stalks off down the corridor. I wonder why he had to go and say that. My mum knows nothing of this, and my life could be forfeit if she finds out. I won't have long at all with my dad.

"Don't mind her." The other guard says as he opens the door for Liam. "She was on duty when the poisoning happened, and she's taken it upon herself to ramp up security."

"Thanks." Liam nods.

He walks through the door, while Isaac and I slip in behind him.