Chapter 43

The next week passes uneventfully. I join in with the Isaac and his family, getting to know Kelly and their parents in the process. Me and Isaac grow even closer, dangerously close for my heart. Now that he knows my true identity, it feels like there are no barriers between us. We hear nothing further from Adrianna, or anyone worse.

Pretty soon, Christmas Eve is upon us.

"What do you usually do for Christmas?" Isaac asks me. We are snuggled up together under a fluffy blanket. Our backs propped up against the headboard of his bed. My head rests on his shoulder. His hand wanders idly up and down my pyjama-clad arm. Our bodies meld together perfectly, reminding me of those pairs of necklaces best friends sometimes get. The ones where you put them next to each other and they make a complete symbol. Like a heart.

"There are massive celebrations at the palace. Like, massive. Assuming things are going ahead as normal, there will be a ball tonight. The entire kingdom is invited to the Eve ball, nobility and servants alike. We're a small kingdom, so between the ballroom, banquet hall, and throne room, everyone usually fits into the palace. I always had to be in the throne room, although I longed to be in the ballroom.

"Then there will be the Christmas ball tomorrow. Nobility only, of course. And on Boxing Day there will be a royal parade around the kingdom. That was always my favourite day. We would hand out gifts to members of the general public; orphaned children, the poor, anyone who is suffering. It was more of a performance to the rest of my family. But to me... It warms my heart to know I'm helping those people."

"We could do that here, you know." Isaac suggests. "We could go to the local hospital on Boxing Day. I'm sure the patients would appreciate something to cheer them up, particular the children."

"I'd love that. It's a bit short notice to buy anything extravagant, but I'm sure some sweets and chocolates would do just fine. What about your Christmas traditions?"

"We always open one present each on Christmas Eve. Speaking of which..." Isaac untangles himself from me. I instantly miss his touch as he reaches below his bed, producing a thin cuboid wrapped in golden paper. "It's not much, but this is for you." He hands it over to me.

I unwrap it, finding a photo frame inside. It's made of entwined pieces of metal, forming a forest-like scene of flora and fauna. But it's not the frame that steals my breath. It's the photo inside it. A photo of the two of us taken mere days ago. Our arms are draped around each other. We're smiling at each other, looking like we're on the verge of laughter.

"I... don't know what to say."

"A thank you would suffice." And the grin he gives me, teasing and full of admiration...

"I love you." The words slip out in a single breath, barely a whisper.

Isaac freezes up, staring at me as if he expects his eyes to tell him something different to his ears. His staring lasts too long. I worry I've said the wrong thing. It feels like a lifetime before he finally replies.

"I love you too."

And, suddenly, everything is different. We've both felt the attraction between us for a while now, but I never realised how far I'd actually fallen for him. Not until I looked at that photo and saw it. I saw the love in our eyes, and I could no longer deny it.

There will be no more skirting the topic. No more lying to him, or to myself. No more delaying the inevitable.

He reaches his arm back around my body. We resume our position from earlier. Except that when I rest my head on his shoulders, he presses a chaste kiss to the top of my forehead. I lift my head to face him once more. As his hand moves down my arm, he catches my hand in his, interlocking our fingers tightly, like he never wants to let me go. He kisses me again. First on my left cheek, then my right. And even one on my nose.

He pulls away, as far as he can without extracting himself from me. Our eyes lock. So full of love. Admiration. Desire.

Our lips meet, conveying a tenderness I never thought I'd experience until I met Isaac. At first, it's barely more than a brush. Then it deepens. We taste each other's emotions. Slowly. Languidly.

Isaac cups my cheek with his free hand. I run mine through his hair.

His touch is gentle, yet firm. It's full of emotions; some said, others left unsaid. He treats my body like a temple. Leaning into it in all the right places. Taking not what he wants, but giving what I need.

Our bodies fit together perfectly. The way we hold each other. The way our lips collide. The way my skin tingles as his magic reaches out to caress mine. It all just feels... right.

I've never felt such bliss before. I can't focus on anything but him. I almost forget to breathe. Almost.

We pull away. Panting. Sated.

"What now?" I ask a minute later, breaking our companionable silence.

"We join my family downstairs." Isaac slips out of the bed, before extending a hand to me. I take it, and he pulls me to my feet.

He doesn't let go of my hand as he leads me down to the living room.

Later that night, I cast a spell to walk straight through the wall of my bedroom into his. I soundlessly slip under the covers of his bed. He wraps a warm hand around my waist, spooning me.

"I'm sorry. I never gave you a gift tonight." I murmur into the darkness.

"But you did." Isaac's voice is like a velvet caress against my ear. "True love is the greatest gift I could ever ask for."