Chapter 41

"Isaac." I call out to an empty room. Bright sunlight streams into the room around the edge of the window blinds.

I climb out of bed, concern and panic coursing through me. Is he in danger? Has he left me for admitting my lies once again? I feel extremely guilty for telling him so many almost truths. Covering up my identity time and time again.

I slip into the guest bedroom to change into jeans and a jumper, before wandering into Kelly's room.

"Have you...?" I cut off my question as I spot Isaac sat on the bed next to a teary-eyed Kelly. "Is everything alright?" I suddenly feel awkward, not wanting to intrude on a sibling moment.

"My parents don't recognise me." Kelly wails. "They don't know who I am."

"Donovan cast some kind of memory spell." Isaac is already doing the comforting, so I feel like being the practical one. "All we have to do is reverse it."

"Do you want to be the one to ask him?" Isaac inquires. Perhaps he's not doing as much comforting as I thought.

"We don't need to go back to him." And I certainly don't want to. "I'll figure something out."

"Donovan's a notorious criminal, Ally. He would've made sure that only he could reverse such a powerful spell."

"I think I know a way." I say quietly. "Just, give me a few minutes." I turn to leave.

Isaac grabs my wrist as I reach my room and I spin on my heels. "Tell me what you're thinking."

"In here." He lets me lead him into the room. I shut the door before continuing, "I know there are spells strong enough to reverse it, but they're illegal." I wait for Isaac's response before elaborating.

"Go on." I guess he's willing to do whatever it takes.

"There are spells that are illegal for immoral reasons, but they're not dangerous. I... I have a book of them." I kneel down and reach under my bed to pull out a chest, transported here by magic. Lifting the false bottom, I remove a black tome and place it onto the bed. "This is from the palace library. I've only ever used a spell from it once before."

I begin leafing through the pages as he interjects. "I won't ask."

"A regular reversal spell won't work. The only way to reverse the effects is to cast a counter spell. Here it is." I stop flipping the pages.

"Memory alteration spell." Isaac reads aloud, leaning over my shoulder. "Use this spell to change someone's memories. Make them forget, or remember memories both false and true." He twists his head to face me. "I guess that's why it's illegal, then; the false memories. Do we just read the spell aloud?"

"I'm reading the spell. I can't let you cast an illegal spell." I insist.

"What if I won't let you cast an illegal spell?"

"You don't have any right to tell a princess what to do." I hiss. I hate pulling rank, but I don't know what else would make him back down.

"I've done illegal magic before." He admits. I stare at him in momentary disbelief. "Once upon a time, I believed the ends justify the means. I wasn't completely innocent in high school."

I think of Adrianna. What she said about her and Isaac in the past. "I know." I reply softly. "Memories not as they should be,"

"No!" Isaac cries out. But he's too late; I've already begun the spell.

"Give your mind freely to me." I finish, thinking of all the people who must be affected by Donovan's spell.

My world turns silent and black. Then a multitude of voices fill my mind. It's painfully overwhelming. I collapse, head in hands and knees to my chest. I vaguely hear my name being called from somewhere far away.

Struggling against the pain, I concentrate on my breathing. In and out. In and out. Until I can think clearly again.

I think of Kelly. Picture her stature, her face, her voice. I push my mental image of her outwards to all the minds I'm connected to. Remember. Remember her. Remember Kelly. I repeat the mantra, over and over and over again. Until the voices in my head repeat it in unison with me.

I rip my mind away, pulling out of the spell. I come crashing back to reality, gasping like I've just come up for air after spending slightly too long underwater.

"Ally." A familiar voice murmurs. Isaac kneels beside my slumped body, clutching his right hand in mine.

"It's done." I mutter, not having the energy to say much else.

"Are you alright?" Concern is rife in both his voice and expression.

"Yes. Go to..."

"Kelly!" Adele and John yell. I hear their heavy footsteps racing up the stairs.

Isaac smiles. "I don't think I'm needed anywhere else right now."

I squeeze his hand, smiling too. "Be with your family. My energy will return."

He hesitates. Then gets up and goes to join his sister's reunion. This is an important moment for his family that I don't want Isaac to miss. And I would feel like an intruder if I got involved.

I lie still for a minute, listening to the muffled celebrations going on across the hallway. Then I slowly push myself up into a sitting position. With stiff movements, I replace the forbidden spell book and close the chest. I haul myself to my feet and take sluggish steps towards the door.

Leaning against the doorframe, I watch Isaac and his family embrace. The four of them so happy together. I think of my own family, how divided we are. What I'm witnessing now is something I always longed for; unconditional love. My family dynamics have always been a strained performance. The scene before me is raw emotion. Real.

Isaac turns, as if sensing my presence. He extends a hand to me. The entire family turn their beaming faces in my direction. With careful steps, I make my way over to them and join their embrace. I've never felt more at home than in Isaac's welcoming arms.