Chapter 51

"I'm surprised neither of you have turned into ice sculptures." Adele says as she shuts the front door behind us. "Go and sit by the fire, both of you. I'm going to make some hot chocolates." She shoos us away.

Adele was there the moment Isaac opened the door. She gave both of us a brief glance up and down, and thankfully ignored our suspicious all-black attire. Isaac had already told me he left a note for his family, but I wonder what exactly he wrote for his mum to not ask questions.

I'm itching to go upstairs and change into more comfortable clothes but don't feel like disobeying Adele's order, so I trail Isaac into the living room. Kelly sits on the sofa, watching TV. Her gaze turns to us as we walk in, but she doesn't say a word, and her attention goes back to the TV.

Isaac and I sit down on the floor by the fire. I let out a satisfied sigh as the heat radiates over my body. I reach out my hands, savouring the slight burning sensation that replaces the biting cold. Isaac shrugs off his boots and sticks his feet out to the fire, wriggling his toes like a dog wags their tail.

We sit in silence, listening to what sounds like a soap opera on the TV. After a few minutes, Adele comes in, carrying a tray laden with large mugs and a plate of croissants. My stomach grumbles in response. I realise we haven't had any breakfast yet.

"Thank you." I say, as she places the tray down on the coffee table.

"If you're going to do something like that again, at least take proper care of yourselves." Adele chides.

"We will." Isaac replies, although I'm not quite sure it's a promise.

I dig into one of the croissants. It's so flaky and buttery and warm, my mouth waters in anticipation of the next bite.

"Your dad's upstairs in the shower, but he'll be glad to see both of you back. Would you mind telling me what you two have been up to?"

"That's not important." Isaac answers after a taking a sip of his hot chocolate.

"Ally?" Adele turns her attention to me, crossing her arms. "Would you care to explain?"

"It's complicated." I mumble, unable to meet her gaze. I can't bear the thought of lying to her.

"Alright. Well, then, as long as it was nothing illegal..."

I scoff. Despite all the sneaking around, we didn't commit a single crime during our escapade. I mean, you can't trespass in your own home. Isaac gives me a look that appears to tell me to shut up.

"No. Nothing illegal." He insists.

"I sure hope not." John walks into the room, flopping down beside Kelly on the sofa.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to take a shower." I say. I don't feel like being under the scrutiny of Isaac's entire family right now.

"Of course, dear." Adele replies.

"Save me another croissant." I say to Isaac as I stand.

"If I don't eat them all first." He jokes, but his smile looks forced. I don't really know what to think of it.

I go upstairs to my room. As soon as the door's shut, I shrug off my boots and cloak. I remove all my weapons and put them away for safe keeping. Then I grab a change of clothes and head out to the bathroom.

When I open the bathroom door, I freeze. Isaac is perched on the edge of the bathtub, grim-faced.

"I'd like some privacy, please." I say.

"I don't want you making yourself bleed again."

"Isaac... I... I wasn't even thinking about it."

"Come here." I don't hesitate to go over to him. I can't tell if he believes me or not, but I need him to know the truth. He stands so that our faces are a mere inch away from each other. He cups one of my cheeks in his hand. "I can't stand seeing you in pain."

"I'm not going to hurt myself." I insist.

"Forget about that for a second. I know the mask you hide your emotions behind. I see the pain beneath it. Even when you think it's not visible, I still notice. Don't pretend your pain has eased since we got back to Earth. I'm not going to force you to talk to me, but I will always be here to listen."

"Thank you." I reply awkwardly. I'm not sure how else I'm meant to respond.

"If I leave you in here, will you be alright?"

"Yes."

I wait as Isaac searches my eyes for the truth. Satisfied, he kisses me gently on the forehead. I pull far enough away to lean back in to kiss him on the lips. It's a short kiss, but it conveys how truly grateful I am for him.

"We'll see the kids at the hospital when you're done." Isaac says. I stand in a stunned silence. It feels like a lifetime ago we were discussing that. We haven't even had a chance to buy anything for those children.

Isaac walks out the bathroom, shutting the door behind him, leaving me alone with my thoughts. It's been a crazy morning. One I never want to relive. I strip off my clothes and jump into the shower.

Water cascades around me, falling like the tears I shed earlier. It smothers my skin in heat and soberness. I let it wash over me, cleansing me of all my pain and sorrow.

I think of my dad, weakened by my mum's poison. This time, the tears don't fall. I'm stronger than my mum. I have to be, else I won't be able to stop her. His words come back to me. You already know what needs to be done. For the first time, I feel I can accept my path. Seeing what's become of my dad... I can't let anyone else suffer at her hands.

My hair clings to my head, reminding me of the mask I wear. I spent 18 long years perfecting that mask; Isaac shouldn't be able to see beneath it. I know how to control whether my emotions are visible or hidden, or at least that's what I thought. Is my time on Earth changing me?

My thoughts turn once again to my life at the palace. What are Nessa and Helena doing now? What happened to Liam? My panic returns in a rush. I realise I'm not even sure if he's safe. I mean, for all I know, my mum could have killed him. If he's been caught...

Abruptly, I turn the shower knob. The water stops pouring. A few stray drops splash audibly onto the tiles. The only other sound I hear is my pounding heart.

The shower was meant to be a relaxing way to sort through my scrambled thoughts and emotions. Now it's been ruined by dread.