Chapter 20

Smoothing down my white skirt, I enter The Live Room. I paired the skirt with a grape-coloured crop top and dark denim jacket. My black hair is pulled back with a thin white headband.

I spot Isaac at the bar immediately, even with his back turned to me. He appears to be waiting for a drink.

"Hey, Isaac." I call, approaching the bar.

"Ally." He greets me with a charming smile.

"What drink did you order?" I ask.

"One beer. I thought I'd let you order your own drink this time." He smirks.

"How generous of you." My smile undermines the sarcasm in my tone. A man behind the bar passes Isaac his beer. "Can I have a glass of lemonade please?"

The man smiles. "Of course."

"Lemonade?" Isaac questions. "Are you not drinking tonight?"

"There's no point having alcohol just because we can. Sometimes I just fancy an ordinary drink."

"Fair enough." He shrugs. "It's good to know that not everyone is here to get wasted."

"Are you?"

"No." He holds up his hands, sounding offended.

"Your lemonade." The man says from behind the bar. I take my drink. Isaac and I leave the bar to find a table near the stage, where a young female wearing a silvery dress is setting up with a guitar.

"Do you have any new information?" I ask hopefully as we sit down.

"Unfortunately not. You?"

"Nothing." I sigh.

"It's okay. I'm sure something will come up. And, even if it doesn't, you've only got a scar. Most poisons are used to kill, or at least weaken, so you've actually got the good end of the stick."

"You make being attacked seem like no big deal." I eye him suspiciously. "What did you get up to before coming here?"

"Only a few fights. Although none of them included weapons or magic. The worst injury I got was a broken nose, which healed after about a week."

"Ouch." I grimace.

"Well, that's what I get for standing up against bullies."

That piques my curiosity. "Tell me the story."

"There were two bullies at my high school: one guy and one girl, dating. They thought they were above everyone else and criticised anyone who didn't fit their standards. I was once asked to join their group, but I refused. They resented me for it, but rejecting them gave me a form of power. When I stood up to them, they took it a lot more seriously than when anyone else did.

"One time, I heard someone crying and pleading in a classroom and went to see what was going on. The bullies were cornering a younger student and, just as I walked in, they began to beat him up. I tried to get them to stop but they were so caught up in the thrill of violence that they ignored me. I had to start a fight to get them to stop.

"The three of us were caught fighting and were almost suspended, but the boy they'd been beating up admitted to the teachers that I was helping him. I was lucky to get off with only an after school detention. Those bullies are the only people I've ever fought."

"Wow." I admire has bravery and kindness; not everyone is willing to get in a fight to protect someone else like that. "How often did things like that happen?"

"The bullies were always being mean, but actual violence was only a rare occurrence, thank goodness."

The girl in the silvery dress begins strumming her guitar. After a few chords, she starts to sing. Beautiful harmonies. Melodies as alluring as siren song fall from her fuchsia-painted lips. Conversation stops temporarily as Isaac and I listen to her sweet music.

"I miss the songs of the sea." I comment dreamily.

"Are they as beautiful as everyone says they are?" Isaac's voice sounds far away.

"It's better. Sirens and mermaids put on the best concerts you could ever find."

"Us angels are known for our voices too."

"Then sing for me sometime."

"I don't put on performances. You'd have to do me a really big favour to even stand a chance at hearing me sing."

The siren's-voice girl finishes her song. The room erupts into applause, with a few wolf whistles mixed in. She sings another song.

I turn to face Isaac. "What are you doing for All-Hallows? There's this university trick or treat treasure hunt and I was wondering if you would want to join me and, you know, make the most of being able to use magic in public."

"I'd love to join you. Will it just be the two of us?" Does he want it to only be us?

"Well, there's this other girl in occult society who's a seelie. I haven't invited her yet, but..."

"Don't invite her." Isaac interrupts. "I like spending time with only you."

I blush, flustered and flattered in the same instant. Unsure what to make of his confession.

"Tell me a story from your life on Topia." I'm momentarily grateful for Isaac's change of subject. Then I realise I have to figure out what I can and can't say

"I'm sure this won't compare to your tale of fighting bullies, but, anyway, I always wanted a pet when I was younger. Not just a horse to ride around on for travelling, but a genuine pet. My parents eventually caved in and got me a fluffy white cat. I named her Pixie, since she acted a lot like a trixie pixie. Always getting into trouble. So, you know how Topian animals are more intelligent than Earthen ones, regardless of whether or not they're seelie?"

Isaac nods.

"Well, Pixie was unseelie, but incredibly independent. Don't get me wrong, she loved all the attention and affection she got at the... my home, but she was very adventurous. I decided my desire for a pet shouldn't hold her back. So, after about a year, I told her she could go and explore the world. She left, and returned to visit me once every few months. I haven't seen her since last year."

"I hope she's alright." Isaac says.

"So do I. But how do you contact a cat?" I say half-jokingly.

"With lots of meowing and purring." He jokes back. We burst out laughing together. As I catch his eyes, I notice a twinkle in them that hadn't been there before.