Chapter 28

I spend the next month focusing on my studies, ignoring my scrambled mind as much as I can. There are no further incidents concerning 'Princess Alyssa'. Liam, Isaac and I have all healed from the theatre attack and Isaac claims he can still fly, although I have yet to see it.

Me and Liam have remained good friends and still meet once a week, although things are a little awkward between us. Me and Isaac are getting closer and closer, but, thankfully, he doesn't make any attempts towards a romantic relationship.

No one knows what happened that night; the night I trashed my room. I used magic to clear the mess when I woke, putting everything back the way it was. There wasn't even a scratch left behind on the mirror. I haven't told anyone what I nearly did with a broken shard of mirror. I don't want anyone coddling me or tiptoeing around eggshells. I have considered therapy, but how much of the truth could I really tell a therapist? For now, I'm simply pushing all the negativity aside.

I am currently sat at the dining table in Ash House, eating a big bowl of cereal. Megan has already left for an early seminar, but Zoey and Eliza are sat with me.

"I can't believe term is nearly over already." I say.

"I know, right." Zoey agrees. "I'm really looking forward to going home and seeing my family."

Her words hit me like a punch in the gut; I don't know if I'll ever go home or see my family again.

"Yeah, and my pet dog, Cinnamon." Eliza adds. "I miss him so much."

"But we do still have a bit more time left together." I try to steer the subject away from going home. I'll be living in this house until the end of the academic year. Once I'm chucked out, I don't have a clue where I'll be spending the summer.

"Yes, and time to admire all our Christmas decorations." Zoey squeals.

She's right about the decorations being something to admire. A plastic fir tree (smaller than Zoey wanted) stands in the living room, adorned with sparkling baubles of snowy white, frosty silver, and icy blue. We have white opalescent tinsel dangling around every window of the house. A large light-up snowflake is hung up on the bricks outside.

"And we can do the same next year." Eliza says.

"Oh, no." Zoey sounds almost offended. "We need a different colour scheme next year. I'm thinking red and gold."

"Do you always plan so far in advance?" I ask.

"Oh, I don't plan things. Ideas just pop into my head sometimes." Zoey shrugs.

"So what ideas do you have for the winter ball on Saturday?"

"I'm taking a leaf from Megan's book and keeping my dress a surprise this time."

"Eliza?" I'm curious because the clubbing scene isn't really her thing, but I suspect she might be interested in a more conversational party. There will still be plenty of dancing, but she shouldn't feel pressured to join in, and won't stick out like a sore thumb if she doesn't.

"Zoey's on to something. Maybe we could all surprise each other on Saturday."

"I can go with that." I reply.

"Sorry if this is a little intrusive, but are you and Isaac going together?"

"It's not intrusive at all. Um, no. I don't have a date for the ball." Me and Isaac haven't actually discussed the ball. I don't even know whether or not he has a date.

I'm quite happy going as friends with Eliza and Zoey. Megan would be coming with us if she didn't have a girlfriend. She only went on her first date with Brielle last week, but they are already inseparable.

It turns out that Brielle is a fellow witch, like me. I've only met her twice, but she's incredibly funny and I can see exactly why Megan is dating her. They are both fun-loving and outgoing; well-matched in their wild hearts.

"Well, I've got two dates." Zoey says. I guess it will just be me and Eliza then.

"Wait. Two dates! Who are they?" Eliza exclaims.

"There's this cute guy I met in my seminars. And another cute guy I met at The Live Room a couple weeks ago. They both know I'm going to have a guy on each arm."

"You really enjoy the attention, don't you?" I ask, despite already knowing the answer.

"Yep. I deserve to be worshipped like a goddess." Eliza and I both laugh at Zoey's overdramatic tone.

"I think we all deserve that." I reply, checking my watch. "Right. I have to leave in a few minutes if I don't want to miss my lecture." I place my spoon in the cereal bowl and stand up. Then I dump the bowl on the kitchen counter. "I assume we're all still meeting for lunch."

"Yeah, but I might be a bit late depending on my studying; I have a seminar straight after lunch and I've still got work to do for it." Eliza says.

"Cutting it a bit fine." Zoey comments.

I slip my socks and trainers on.

"I've been busy writing that article for the university newspaper." Eliza defends herself.

"You mean the one about how we can look after the planet better?" I say as I tie my shoelaces. "Have you finished it? If you have, I'd love to read it."

"Yes. It's all done. I can print it off in the library and bring it to you at lunch."

"Perfect." I finish with my laces and grab my cream waterproof coat. "I'll see you both later."

"See ya." Zoey replies.

"Bye." Eliza says.

I walk out the front door and the miserable, dreary weather drenches me in seconds. Luckily, my raincoat keeps out the worst of it as I trudge over to my lecture theatre for the morning. It doesn't seem like we'll get any snow before everyone else leaves campus and I'm alone once more.