Chapter 22

I stare at my reflection in the mirror. The black cocktail dress I bought last week comfortably hugs my body. The long lacy sleeves would've hidden my dagger scar, but I'm grateful it's gone. A green silk belt is wrapped round my waist, with a pouch full of potion vials tied to it. Around my neck is black velvet choker. Elegant emerald earrings dangle from my ears.

Taking a deep breath, I release the glamour over me. I watch as my eyes brighten to a luminous shade of green, my veins turn from icy blue to leafy green, and my fingernails grow to claws, long and pointed. After so many weeks, it feels really strange to see my true self.

Sat down at my desk a minute later, I paint my nails. My hair and makeup were often dealt with magically at the palace, so my hand is unsteady and unsure. I only ever did my own nails for a bit of fun with Helena and Nessa. Today, I paint them in a deep green gloss and silvery glitter.

Then I paint my lips scarlet and my eyes forest green. I sweep some of my hair behind me and hold it in place with an emerald grip. I know humans think of witches as having pointy hats and broomsticks, but I don't want to play into the stereotype.

I slip on my black ankle boots and wander downstairs to see the other girls in their costumes. My mouth drops open as I enter the living room.

Eliza wears a flowery pastel-purple dress that floats down to just above her ankles. Iridescent wings of thin plastic curve out from her back like four flower petals, framing her braided black hair. Lilac jewellery adorns her dark skin.

Zoey has donned a rouge strapless dress that hardly covers her thighs. Circular holes in the side of the fabric show off her muscled stomach. Fishnet tights follow her long legs down to black thigh-high boots. Her clip-on red horns have been woven into her wavy strawberry blonde hair in such a way that they look like they have genuinely grown out of her head.

"You both look stunning." I tell my new friends.

"Same to you." Zoey returns. "I love those colour contact lenses."

"Thanks." I smile, trying not to laugh at how easily humans fall for Halloween illusions. "That dress makes you looks so hot. And you, Eliza, that purple really brings out your skin tone."

"You think so?"

"I know so." Megan answers Eliza's disbelief. We all turn to gape at her.

Her dark skinny jeans and tight green crop top look like a regular outfit, but the green cape flowy from her neck down to the floor is certainly not a regular thing for her to wear. A plastic bow designed to look like wood is slung over her shoulder and a collection of arrows hang from her jeans. Her chocolaty brown hair is pulled back in a high ponytail.

"Robin Hood, at your service." She gives us a quick bow. We all laugh, excited for the evening.

"That's your big surprise?" Zoey asks rudely.

"It's a brilliant idea." I defend Megan.

"Thanks. You all look great. Is everyone ready to go?"

"Yep." Zoey answers. "Oh, wait. Selfie time." She gets out her phone and we all pose for a few photos, some scary, some silly.

"Right. I might meet you two at the party later." I say to Megan and Zoey.

"Enjoy occult society." Megan says as we leave the house and split off into pairs.

"We will." Eliza replies.

We have a séance at occult society. A few people get freaked out by the idea and sit out of it, but, predictably, nothing actually happens.

Humans think of ghosts differently to how they actually are; a ghost is simply a soul without a body. A soul may be detached from its body in the moments before death, but ghosts are not technically dead. The opposite of a ghost is a zombie; a body without a soul. Again, zombies are not technically dead. The human concept of the undead doesn't actually exist.

Even though the séance is fruitless, I enjoy the feeling of being connected to so many people. Holding hands with Eliza and Madison, eyes closed, I am calm and relaxed. I haven't felt this way since I left the palace. A hum of energy flows between me and Madison, as we revel in the high levels of magic in the air. All Hallows is popular on Topia as well as Earth because it has higher levels of ambient magic than any other day of the year.

After occult society, Madison and Eliza go off together for the trick or treat treasure hunt. I wait around outside for a minute. Then I see him.

My heart skips a beat as Isaac comes round a corner, looking his true self. He's wearing white trousers and an off-white jumper. But what really catches my attention is the flawless white feathers that make up the arching wings sprouting from his back. Angel wings have a natural majestic quality about them that always seems to take me by surprise, even though I've seen plenty of them over the years.

"Wow." I say quietly.

"I'll take that as a compliment." Isaac comments. I didn't mean for him to hear me. As he draws closer, I notice silver sparkles in his sapphire eyes, obviously glamoured away on other days.

"I wasn't sure you were going to get your wings out today."

"I couldn't miss the opportunity. And your eyes are just as gorgeous as your outfit."

I blush at his flattery. "Thanks."

Then I spy a shadow of movement out of the corner of my eye. Alarm bells ring in my mind. Maybe Liam was right about All Hallows being dangerous. Concern fills me as I realise he was supposed to be here by now. The movement disappears as abruptly as it appeared.

"Are you okay?" Isaac asks, concern written over his face.

I school my own face into a relaxed smile. "Yeah. Ready to start the treasure hunt?"

"Sure." He pulls out his phone and starts tapping on the screen. "Okay, I've got the first clue here: Your first stop on your quest for survival is the place you might have seen on arrival. But arrival where?"

"I think it means arrival to the university so... maybe the entrance gate?" I suggest.

"It would certainly fit the clue." Isaac agrees.

As we walk to the campus entrance together, I glimpse another shadow of movement, like the first time. Except that now, I also notice that the person in hiding has purple skin. I relax in the knowledge that Liam is tailing me from a distance. He is here, and danger isn't following me.