Chapter 21

Next Monday afternoon comes around much faster than I expected. I journey back through the outskirts of the woods to meet Liam again for our first update. This time, I find him leaning against a tree, taking a swig of thick crimson liquid from a clear flask.

"Is that B-Neg?" I ask incredulously. B-Neg, short for blood-negative, is by far the most popular brand of magical fake blood. Drinking blood from a person, without their consent, is considered illegal everywhere except the dark realm, so vampires usually drink B-Neg instead. But for other seelies like Isaac and I, B-Neg has effects an awful lot like alcohol.

Liam puts up the sound barrier this time.

"Chill, Alyssa. This is all I'm having." He holds the flask up like he's about to say 'cheers' at a wedding. "And it will be out of my system by the time I go back on shift at the palace anyway."

"Give me some of that." I say, snatching the flask and taking a big gulp from it. The smooth liquid snakes down my throat, warm and silky. There's a slightly metallic tang to it, and yet it somehow tastes wonderfully sweet. "I was only concerned about humans seeing it." I pass the flask back.

"Then we give them the same excuse that's been used for decades: it's a juice mixture used by vamps in films."

"Ugh, just tell me if you've found anything."

Liam smirks at my impatience, but then his face turns serious. "Nothing. I have to praise your mother for putting on an excellent performance. I can't even snoop around in her rooms because she's mourning so much that no one's allowed in except her husband."

"Have you tried a glamour?"

He shakes his head. "Palace guards are trained to watch out for glamours, and we're all on high alert at the moment. I wouldn't stand a chance. Any luck on your end?"

"No. But I'm trying to deal with this whole mess and live a normal life at the same time. I thought I wouldn't have to keep a filter over my mouth on Earth, but it's even worse having to keep up a false identity. At least at the palace I could say what I wanted with you and Helena and Nessa. Here, no one knows what it's like living in a palace. I can't share that part of me with anyone."

"I'm here now." Liam wraps a comforting arm around my shoulders, giving me a gentle squeeze and genuine smile.

"Yeah, but for how long out of the entire week?"

"I was thinking about coming here for All Hallows."

"And what? Join in the university events even though you're not a student?" I joke. He doesn't say anything. "Seriously?"

"Yes. I've never experienced All Hallows on Earth before. Plus, with magic being used so openly, I'm worried about you." I never considered All Hallows as an opportunity for another attack before, but it does make sense. But...

"If no one knows who I really am, then there's no target on my back. I'm only a target because of my royal status, so no status surely means no need for guards."

"Dark siders don't need a reason to target someone. They're more active on All Hallows too because people often think things are part of a performance. Don't be naïve."

"I'm not being naïve." I snap, pulling away from Liam. "I'm a big girl who can handle myself. I've had years of training with magic and weaponry."

"If that's true, then why did you flee when you were attacked at the palace?" I feel a sting at the bluntness of his words.

"Because I was caught off guard. But I'm prepared now, so you can stop treating me like an innocent child in need of male protection."

"Since when did gender matter in this conversation?" He demands, exasperated.

"Since I decided to change the story."

"You've always written your own story, Alyssa."

"Well, maybe I'm trying to convince myself that I'd win if there was another attack. My mum paid professionals, Liam, to kill me. I'm trained for battle, not murder."

"You're also trained to defend yourself. All I meant before is that two people are stronger than one. I'm sorry if I offended you." He begins to walk away.

"Liam, wait!" I call. He stops and turns back to me. "I'm sorry. I just... My head and emotions are all over the place at the moment. Everything's a puzzle for me to work out before it hurts me. Your oath is the only reason I even know I can trust you. Can you forgive me for being so cautious?"

"Of course, Alyssa. Hey, I just remembered something strange. This is probably unconnected to everything, but Leila was asking about some gift she got you for your birthday. Apparently, she sounded quite desperate when she asked Helena and Nessa if they knew what you had done with it."

I had completely forgotten about that. The gift must still be hidden in the ruined ballgown stuffed in the back of my wardrobe. I never even opened it. I remember Leila's threat when she gave it to me: 'You'll bleed before I leave here, you ugly witch'. She hadn't been wrong about me bleeding. A shiver runs down my spine. She'd never liked me. For the first time, I wonder if Leila was involved in my assassination attempt.

"I brought it here with me, by accident, of course. And while we're on the subject, can you bring me my other presents? Just the ones from you, Nessa and Helena."

"Of course. Anything else I can do?"

"Keep an eye on Leila for me."

Liam shrugs. "I keep an eye on her anyway. She's always been trouble."

"Thank you. I guess I'll see you in a few days' time for All Hallows?"

He gives me a friendly hug. "I'll find you in the late afternoon. Stay safe."

"You too." We let go, and go our separate ways.

Back at Ash House, I rifle through my wardrobe and pull out a small box. Intrigued, I take off the lid. Inside, I find a flower the colour of soft butter cradling a clear crystal. Crystal flowers can hold many different properties. Cracking open the crystal of a flower this shade of yellow is supposed to reveal a liquid tonic to heal any wound.

Suddenly, a crazy, unlikely thought hits me like a brick. What if Leila was trying to help me? I think of her words once more: 'You'll bleed before I leave here'. Why would she say that, as she gave me a healing crystal? It doesn't make sense.

But the crystal is worth a shot. I pluck it from the flower, which willingly releases it. Then I tap the crystal hard against the closed door of my wardrobe. I bring the crack that forms to my lips. The thick liquid tastes of honey. Sickly sweet. Much sweeter than B-Neg.

Tingles alight across my skin as the syrupy liquid winds its way around my body. They condense in a euphoric sensation at the top of my left arm. I take off my jacket. Skin knits neatly back together, sealing my dagger wound shut and removing any redness from the area. I can't believe the crystal actually worked. I've had the solution with me this entire time and simply never knew.

I text both Liam and Isaac to let them know the dark water is no longer an issue.

One problem solved, one problem remaining: my mum.