Chapter 49

"It's Caroline," Sarah announces while glancing towards my phone ringing on the living room table. "You ready to tell her about Ed now?" She asks before thankfully reaching for my phone and handing it to me, so I don't have to feel like a beached whale attempting to wriggle out of the sand towards the safety of the ocean.

I shake my head while I grasp the phone. We've already had the conversation several times about whether to tell Caroline about Ed and Willow, and simply had to agree to disagree. The fact that Caroline has passed her due date, and is coiled like a spring with anxiety makes me adamant that she doesn't need to know until after her little girl is here safe and sound. "You better be calling me to tell us you're in labour!" I tease as soon as I answer the call.

"Piss off!" She groans. "Hun, I'm so bloody fed up!"

"I'm putting you on speaker." I tap the speaker button, and place the phone on the arm of the chair.

"You still pregnant?" Sarah chuckles devilishly.

"I've tried everything! Eating pineapple, drinking raspberry leaf tea, walking for miles... even had sex... and nothing!" Her voice is strangled in frustration.

"Too much information," Sarah laughs loudly. "Poor Jer!"

"She will come when she's-" I begin.

Caroline cuts me off. "If you're going to say when she's ready I'm going to bloody scream!"

I clear my throat to try and think of something supportive to say, but my mind draws a blank. "How did it go at the doctors?"

"I'm being induced in three days if she doesn't come naturally before." She sighs in defeat, clearly feeling as though there is no way her baby will come on her own accord.

"I know that sounds like a long time, but it'll fly by. I promise." I try to sound as confident as I can, knowing that she may need to be induced.

Unexpectedly, Caroline begins to laugh. Sarah and I stare at each other in shock. "Look at us! Me trying to get my baby out, and you trying to keep your babies in! Let's change the subject. Anything new going on with you guys?"

"No!" I practically shout before Sarah has chance to open her mouth. "Absolutely nothing. I'm working with Harrison this week, so Ben and Sarah have agreed to stay with me."

"Is Daniel still coming home every other day?" She asks swiftly, thankfully not picking up my avoidance of her question.

"He is supposed to be, but as I'm just working, I've convinced him to work another few days straight to get as much as he can out of the way while I'm feeling well. He's coming home in three days." I can't help but smile as I speak, remembering our conversation where Ben helped me to convince him to stay on for a little longer while everything was calm.

"Well, please make sure you take it easy, at least until Daniel is home." Caroline says seriously.

"I will... and you... go for a long walk." I grin. "Love you hun."

"Love you. Just ring if you need anything." Sarah speaks with her voice full of sincerity.

"I promise, I'll call as soon as anything changes. Love you both." Caroline then ends the call.

Awkwardly, I wriggle off the sofa, groaning and gasping as I move. Once I'm upright, I'm panting as though I have just climbed a mountain, much to Sarah's amusement. I scowl at her, which only seems to make her laugh more. "You're such a bitch!"

"Yep!" She grins, looking pleased with herself. "You sure you're up for work today?"

Reluctantly I nod. "It's the last day I'll need to go in. The whole campaign was tweaked yesterday, so today it should just be prepping it reading to roll out."