Chapter 32

"Say cheese." Jeremy laughs as Caroline and I stand bump to bump in our new back garden while he takes a photograph. My pale pink fitted maternity dress clings to every inch of me. I know it looks good from Daniel's reaction earlier, but it's making me sweat a little in the heat.

"Cheese!" We both giggle animatedly before I kiss her cheek. Despite Caroline being over two months further along in her pregnancy than me, my bump dwarfs hers. She puts her arms around me, and we embrace each other the best we can with three babies between us.

"I still cannot believe this is your house!" She beams, genuinely happy for me.

"Let me in, you two make me look like a fucking supermodel." Sarah wiggles between us, smoothing down her form fitting dress. "Jer, take our picture!" She orders playfully while she poses between us. Then she places a hand on each of our bumps with a huge grin and we all pose for another photograph.

A glass chimes from behind us making us turn. My Dad is standing nervously and clears his throat before he speaks. All eyes from our intimate gathering of the people closest to us turn to face my Dad.

"I thought it was appropriate for me to say a few words considering it's my daughter's engagement party..." my Dad begins to talk when I feel an arm around my waist. Looking up I see Daniel with a glass of champagne in his other hand and a massive smile on his handsome face. He kisses the top of my head briefly before returning his attention to my Dad. "Firstly, I would like to say on behalf of myself and my wife, Julie, that we could not be happier to finally be having Daniel as a Son-in-law. In many ways Daniel has effortlessly slotted into our family, feeling as though he is already engrained within our tight family unit...  so them actually getting married is the icing on the cake." My Dad smiles at Daniel, who raises his glass in acknowledgment of my Dad's heartfelt words.

"My darling Lizzie, you make us prouder than you could ever imagine. The fact that you have found someone who loves you so completely fills my heart with joy. I think we can all agree that you've both been through enough for a lifetime... so ladies and gentleman, please raise your glasses and toast my beautiful daughter and her wonderful fiancé... congratulations on your engagement... here is to your future... Lizzie and Daniel!" He lifts his glass and I can see the glisten of tears in his eyes.

"Lizzie and Daniel!"  Our closest friends and family speak in unison as we all toast our engagement. I feel like my heart could burst with love and happiness.

I walk forward and engulf my Dad in a tight cuddle. "I love you." I whisper for just him to hear. 

"Speech!" Oscar bellows loudly before slapping Daniel on the back.

"Oh, shit! Really, I haven't prepared anything..." Daniel looks like a rabbit caught  in headlights, forcing me to stifle a laugh.

"Come on!" Ben chuckles teasingly. "You're not usually lost for words!"

"Alright, but this is going to be short and sweet-"

"Like your efforts at sex from what I've heard!" Jeremy teases and our garden erupts with laughter.

"No hecklers!" Daniel chuckles loudly. "Well... thank you all for coming this afternoon to our little gathering to celebrate our engagement! To be honest with you all, if circumstances had of been different..." he looks at me nervously at his reference to Georgia, but I refuse to allow her to ruin anything else, so I just smile reassuringly. "... I would have asked Lizzie a long time ago. But, everything that happened just made my love for her stronger, knowing there is nothing I would not do for her." Daniel moves across to stand next to my Dad. "Simon, thank you for your kind words... you have made me feel part of a real family for the first time in my life." Daniel's eyes flicker for a second to his Mom, but his attention immediately returns to me. I don't even glance at Madison, knowing she will be dramatic. "When I drove up to meet with Simon without Lizzie's knowledge to ask him for his permission for me to marry his daughter over a pint, I didn't expect him to laugh at me." We all laugh along with Daniel and my Dad, who remain standing next to each other.

"I didn't laugh." My Dad interjects mischievously. "I was amused that you thought there could be any other answer than just get on with it!"

"Simon!" My Mom exclaims.

"He had a point! But, then things went to shit..." he voice trembles a little, so he takes a sip of champagne to compose himself. "Lizzie, I love you. I cannot wait for us to be married, and continue on this amazing adventure together with our babies. Thank you for saying yes! To Lizzie."

"Lizzie." Everyone cheers together, with the exception of Madison who simply smirks. I ignore her, and instead raise my glass and blow air kisses to everyone while I attempt but fail to control my reddening cheeks.

Madison takes my Mom's hand, and then steps forward. "I would like to say a few words." My heart sinks at what she has planned.

"Should be interesting." Sarah whispers just loud enough for me to hear.

"Lizzie, Daniel. Julie and I have had a lovely chat this afternoon, and have decided that... with your permission... we would love to plan your wedding for you." My eyes open in alarm at her words. "Don't say no, either of you... we know you want something quick, but you both have so much on your plate at the moment with work, the houses and the babies on the way. So, we would like to do this small gesture for you both as neither of us have had the pleasure of being involved in the planning of our only child's wedding before. Hopefully this is our last opportunity to do so too because we know it will last forever!" Madison ensures she's displaying just enough emotion to come across as sincere, but I see straight through her act.

Looking around at everyone else's reactions, I can see that they are all completely duped by her bullshit facade, even Daniel. It's not until my eyes meet Sarah's who then animatedly rolls her eyes do I know that not everyone has been deceived. 

"Lizzie, we would like to take the pressure off for you both... so you can just enjoy it." My Mom clasps her hands before her face when she speaks, her expression like an excitable little child. "What do you say?"

Daniel looks at me with an unreadable expression, clearly awaiting my reaction. But I'm unable to give him what he needs. I want to shout 'no way' at the top of my lungs, believing that Madison would have coerced and manipulated my Mom into this, almost making her believe that it was her idea in the first place. But then I watch my Mom intently, feeling in my heart that she believes she is doing something for me that I truly need. I can't say no.

My mind briefly wanders into the murky waters of my relationship with Ed. He planned the entire day from my dress right through to flowers that he knew I disliked, but didn't care. My Mom attempted to help with the planning several times, but was shot down with sickly sweet lies about him not wanting to be a nuisance... and how useless I was at making decisions, so he just had to do it for me. I feel a shudder ripple through me, and know that this is her last chance to be involved in my wedding day because this time it really is forever.

"Oh, please... we just want to plan the perfect day for you both." Madison pleads with us.

"Ok?" Daniel answers hesitantly, clearly unsure what to say.

"OK." I speak slowly as my Mom holds me tight.

"Oh sweetheart, thank you! Madison has so many ideas that you are just going to love." Mom gushes, not coming up for air.

- hey guys

What do you think of this of this chapter? I hope you enjoyed it.

What did you think of Daniel and Lizzie's dad's little speeches?

And... Madison....????

Thank you so much for still reading! Please tick the little star too, I'm so grateful to you all. Love T x -