Chapter 18

"Morning, handsome." I say lovingly as I open the doors onto the large balcony. Daniel is sat on the brown wicker furniture in his bottle green swim shorts, staring peacefully out at the white powder beach and crystal blue ocean. The morning sunshine caresses his freshly shaved features perfectly. Droplets from the shower he must have recently taken still gleam on his hair in the light. He looks much younger without his trademark stubble, I think with a small smile. He's lost deep in thought, but for once he looks completely at peace. However, my words draw him out of his head and into the present.

He grins up at me as the door fully opens, and I cannot help but mirror his expression. As we fell asleep wrapped in each other last night, I prayed that we have turned a corner. Once we had made love and I had reassured him, Daniel seemed much more content. As I meet his blue eyes now, they still appear relaxed and happy. God, I hope it lasts.

The full heat of the Mexican morning slaps me in the face when I step onto the balcony. Feeling the heat engulf me, for the first time I don't think I can catch my breath. The world unexpectedly spins a little and I reach for the chair to support myself.

"You OK?" Daniel springs up and takes my arm, guiding me into the seat. His expression is one of pure panic.

"Just a little lightheaded." I explain calmly as the beautiful view comes back into focus. I place my hand across his to show him I'm OK. An unsettled feeling rests in the pit of my stomach as I suddenly feel beads of sweat begin to drip down my back. I've been lucky so far in my pregnancy with how well I've felt, but suddenly it's like the nausea is finally catching up with me.

"Shall I get you a cup of tea?" He asks when he kneels before me. It's clear that he wants to do something to help me, but he's unsure what I need.

I shake my head, the thought of drinking tea makes my stomach roll violently. "Water, please."

Daniel is back in a flash with a glass of ice cold water. Gulping it down, my stomach settles a little.

"You want me to call a doctor?" He asks, worry lacing his voice. He places the palm of his hand gently across my forehead. "You feel warm."

"No." I shake my head again slowly. A feeling of nausea ripples through me before rising up into my throat. I feel the burn of acid rising up without warning, and swiftly race to the toilet.

Without even having time to close the door behind me, I expel everything from my stomach before continuing to heave until there is literally nothing left. Tears stream down my face as my stomach continues to painfully contract. Daniel remains right behind me, holding my hair away from my face and rubbing my back softly. "That's it babe, get it all out." He murmurs.

Once the feeling of nausea has passed, I sit down on the cool tiled floor, resting my head back on the wall. Daniel sits next to me, watching my every move intently.

"So it begins!" I smirk tiredly.

"I've been waiting for the morning sickness to start, especially what the nurse said about carrying twins. I'll get you some water." He stands up and turns to hold out his hand to pull me up.

"Not yet." I remain perfectly still, enjoying the coolness of the tiles on my overheated skin.

By the time Daniel returns I feel more human. I drink the cold water slowly, but remain seated until I'm certain I feel better. Then, carefully I stand, wash my face and and brush my teeth.

"Better?" Daniel asks once I'm dressed, looking and feeling like Lizzie again. He's sitting on the sofa in the room with his laptop open before him.

"Better." I nod dramatically. "Now, I better go and see Harrison. It's time I actually did some work. We've got a lot to do." I cautiously look over to Daniel, dreading his reaction.