Chapter 22

"We're fine, Mom! Honestly!" My tone is as reassuring as I can manage, considering the events of the last twelve hours.

"Sweetheart, we're so worried about all of you! The way the paparazzi were manhandling you both... well, I think they should be arrested... it looked like assault! It's disgusting how they can get away with such an invasion of your privacy! Your father nearly had a coronary when we could see how they initially wouldn't let you through to check into your flight unless you confirmed the pregnancy!" Mom shrieks down the phone, forcing me to hold my phone away from my ear with a deep sigh.

Glancing over at Daniel, I can see him still ranting down his phone at Rhys as I remain seated on the empty plane in Heathrow. Daniel paces continually up and down the aisle while he speaks on the phone. I feel so envious that all the other passengers have been able to depart without any issue and continue their journeys. Whereas we have to wait for security because the media have smelt blood and are relentlessly circling, just poised to attack.

"Mom, Dad... please both of you... just calm down. Daniel is on the phone to Rhys who is in the terminal with security right now. They're going to get us out of here, and in no time we will be home... I promise." I squeeze the bridge of my nose to keep myself focused. All I really want to do is curl up and sleep until everyone has calmed down.

"Lizzie... you should be taking it easy in your condition... you don't need all this drama!" Mom sobs down the phone, making me feel even worse. Don't you think I don't know that, I want to scream, but I know if I have a meltdown, it won't help anyone.

"Once we're home, I will! OK?" My tone is pleading.

"We're just worried, darling. Chris has called and advised that we continue to ignore all these reporters that are camped in the street and we've taken the landline phone off the hook. They pounced on poor Mrs Donovan from next door when she left for work this morning, she didn't know what to do." Mom rants down the phone.

"I'm so sorry about all this..."

"Don't be silly... we can manage... it's you we're thinking about!" I can hear the desperation in her voice, and I feel my heart break a little at the pain this is causing them.

I open my mouth to reassure her again as Rhys steps onto the plane with around ten burly officers following in his wake. His face is stern and he's clearly frustrated. I can just imagine him in his army uniform and the air of authority that he still carries with him is evident for everyone to see. "Mom, Rhys is here... I'll call you later. Love you."

Lowering the phone, I turn to face Daniel. He's already moved to stand behind me, and softly places his hands across my shoulders. He squeezes affectionately before placing a kiss on my head.

"Thank fuck you're here." Daniel exclaims when he steps forward to shake Rhys's hand. "Hello." He nods towards the officers behind him.

"Ready to leave?" Rhys asks with a sad smile.

I nod, unexpectedly feeling my eyes fill up with tears. Blinking quickly, I dispel them, not wanting to make this whole shit storm even more dramatic. "Yep... ready to go home."

"Everything ready? I don't want any waiting around... we need to get Lizzie home safe, she's been through enough today." Daniel folds his arms across his broad chest.

"We're ready to depart, Mr Weston. The cars are waiting at the bottom of the stairs. The convoy that will follow will be two unmarked police cars and a private security vehicle." The older man standing directly behind Rhys speaks with confidence. "We will ensure you are home and safe as swiftly as possible."

"Thank you." I say with a forced smile, knowing these people are trying to help us as best they can.

"Thanks, we appreciate your efforts for us." Daniel speaks with an eerie calmness after how tightly he's been wound since several journalists tried to grab me in the airport.