Chapter 5

Dramatically I throw my head back. "Argh!" I groan loudly before fighting the urge to slam the laptop shut. "There is nothing out there."

"Lizzie, there are lots of houses or apartments that would be suitable for us. But you need to start looking in the right price bracket." Daniel speaks patiently, but I can hear a subtle edge of frustration seeping through. From his seat at the dining table next to me, he places his arm around my shoulder and gives it a squeeze.

My fingers hover tentatively over the tab on the property website that will allow me to increase the maximum budget... but, I  can't press it... my hands just won't let me do it.

"I'll keep looking," I sigh before starting the house search again within a budget that I can afford to pay my share.

Peeking through a sideways glance, I watch Daniel roll his eyes. He opens his mouth a couple of times, but then chooses to say nothing further about my stubbornness. "Fancy a cuppa?" He stands and flexes his shoulder upwards.

"That sounds lovely." I grin, trying to ignore the deep and angry looking scar that trails just beneath his chest. "How's it feeling now the stitches are out?"

"Sore," He answers honestly. "But, looser and more like my own body."

I nod in understanding. "I can't believe how quickly you're healing. Now the stitches are out and the bandages are off, you will feel better in no time."

"I feel good and I know it'll only get better. I'm booked back in with my trainer, Jay, next week to start training again."

I raise my eyebrows in shock that he wants to train already. "Are you sure you're ready?" I want to tell him it's too early, but I know if I make an issue it'll only make him more determined to do it.

"Yeah, cannot wait to get back into shape." He stops what he's doing to turn and face me. "I'll take it steady, I promise."

Although his words appear to be straightforward, I can't help but feel my heart sink a little. Is he going to throw himself into training so he doesn't have to deal with his emotions? Is he going to cause more damage to his body by training this early? Has he cleared it with the consultant?

"Earth to Lizzie?" Daniel clicks his fingers in front of my face. "When did you last eat today?" He swiftly diverts my attention, but I decide to let it go.

I nibble my lip as I think back through the day. "Erm, breakfast." I confess.

"Lizzie, what are you thinking? You need to make sure you're eating properly." His features harden as he looks over at me.

I nod and hold my hands up. "I know... I know. Today has just gotten away with me."

Daniel opens the cupboard and places some biscuits on a plate next to my cup of tea. "Thank you." I smile up at him, loving how he takes care of me.

"Just to keep you going until dinner... still thinking a Chinese?"

"Oh God, yes!" My mouth waters at the thought of a takeaway. I nibble at the biscuits and see his expression soften.

"So, when are we seeing Caroline and Jer?" He asks while sitting opposite me at the table. Softly, he closes the laptop.

"Tomorrow. I need to tell her before Sarah implodes." I chuckle at the memory of Sarah pleading with me to make sure I told Sarah before she has to see her again.

"You never said... how did she guess?" Daniel wears an amused grin.

"I put the kettle on!" I shrug while shaking my head.