Chapter 47

Stepping out of the lift onto Willow's floor in the hospital, the artificial light stings my eyes for a second until they adjust to the sterile glow. I exit the lift flanked by Rhys and Ben, knowing that Ed is already being interviewed by Detective Price, with Detective Phillips watching from behind the one way screen.

Ben sticks close to my side, and I feel comforted that he is here next to me despite the fact he is no longer employed by Daniel. "I'm so glad you're here." I say while I gently nudge his shoulder.

"Like Sarah would ever forgive me if I wasn't here." He smirks as he nudges me softly back. "Seriously, I offered because I want to make sure you're safe. Still can't believe you have convinced Daniel to wait in the car with Sarah."

"It's the last thing I need, him being recognised here! Can you imagine how the press would have a field day digging into the reason why we are in a hospital in Manchester." I wince at the thought of the world finding out about my history with Ed. Thankfully, I'm not able to think for too long when we reach Willow's room.

"Do you want us to wait outside, or come in with you?" Rhys asks while straightening his black suit jacket.

"I think I should go in alone, she's going to be scared enough... let alone you two looking like agents from Men in Black." I try, but fail to lighten the mood, resulting in both Ben and Rhys scowling at my awful sense of humour. "Sorry, I'm nervous... you know I make stupid jokes when I'm nervous. But, I'll go in alone." Ben nods his head in complete understanding.

Rhys nods curtly. "I will let Daniel know you are going in."

Ben glances into the room before turning back to me. "Please don't stress yourself out. She might not want your help... you have to want to be saved."

"I know." I say with a sad smile.

Ben leans towards me so he can speak just to me while Rhys is on the phone to Daniel, who is hidden behind blackout windows in the car waiting outside the hospital. "I kind of wish Ed was here! I'd love to put him in the bed next to Willow."

I reach to pat Ben's forearm. "I know you would, but I'm only here to see if I can help her." When I release him, I turn to face her room door.

Knocking out of politeness, I enter to see Willow asleep, lying on the hospital bed. She looks so small, almost childlike. However, for a second it isn't her I see... it's me. I blink to focus on her, but the way her chestnut hair sweeps across her forehead like mine, her petite features look eerily similar to mine, the way her bruises are fading into a swirling mixture of green and yellow like mine used to, makes her look like exactly like me. The air feels as though it has been sucked from my lungs, and suddenly I want to turn and run far from here. As I start to retreat, she opens her eyes and focuses on me. 

As though I am compelled to move forward, I somehow manage to put one foot in front of the other to stand beside her bed. "Hello Willow, my name is Lizzie Weston." I speak slowly and softly.

"I know who you are." She mutters quietly in her dusky pink dressing gown, averting her eyes to look anywhere but at me.

Trying not to look confrontational, I remove my coat to sit down next to her bed. "I wasn't sure if if you would know who I was."

"Why are you here?" She asks pointedly, her stitched brow furrowed.

"I've come to talk to you about what has happened to you." I sit forward awkwardly with my bump, causing Willow to glance at my belly before resting her hand on her own pregnant stomach.

"Nothing happened to me! I fell down the stairs!" Willow snaps, but her emotions give her away when her eyes fill with tears.

"You don't have to lie to me, Willow-"