Chapter 29

"I'm so glad you changed your mind about driving today." I grin subtly. "This way we don't have to worry about finding somewhere to park on top of you worrying about being recognised!" I then smile towards Lawrence who beams back at me through the rear view mirror.

Daniel lifts his head up from his phone. "I know, I know!" He immediately lowers his head to type on his phone again.

"You OK?" I ask, wondering what's got him suddenly so distracted.

He rubs his hands through his wayward hair. "Just my mom... she says she can't understand why we didn't view that third house... she thinks it would be perfect for us. She's offered to view it for us."

I bite the inside of my cheek to stop a snide comment falling from my lips. "What did you say back to her?" I ask diplomatically.

He shrugs nonchalantly. "Just put that we didn't think it was right for us, and there are two other houses we really like... it's not really any of her business, so no, we don't want her to view it. I don't get why she's so worked up." He finishes typing before putting his phone away with a sigh.

Because she's a bitch, I almost say. "No idea." I imagine that Madison is fuming by Daniel's response which makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. "Anyway... do you still want to find out the sex of the babies?" I blatantly change the subject to the topic of conversation that hasn't really stopped all morning.

"I don't think your Mom would forgive us if we didn't!" His face softens at the memory of my mom's joyous reaction on FaceTime this morning at our intention to find out.

"Lawrence, did you find out with your girls?" I ask as I lean forward.

"No, not with any of them. There is something magical about meeting your baby for the first time and not knowing beforehand." He says simply, but through the rear view mirror I see the emotion in his expression.

I sit back in my seat pondering Lawrence's words.

"I hadn't thought of it like that." Daniel rubs his hands together rhythmically.

"We're here." Lawrence comments while indicating and stopping outside the hospital doors. Daniel places his baseball cap on his head, pulling it down firmly. "Just ring me when you're ready and I'll be here."

This time Daniel leads me through the hospital reception with ease. The lift is just as busy as the last time we were here, so we turn to ascend the stairs. Daniel smirks as he jogs up each flight of stairs, while I climb slower with each step.

"Dr. Isaac is waiting for you." The receptionist greets us warmly when we finally make it to the fourth floor.

Once we have said our hellos and Dr. Isaac has reviewed my notes, I lie back on the bed. Lifting my top, the familiar blob of cold jelly is placed on my ever expanding stomach. Daniel grips my hand firmly as Dr. Isaac places the ultrasound transducer on my stomach.

"OK... there is twin one..." he glides the transducer across my stomach so we can see the first baby. The outline becomes clearer as it wiggles and kicks on the screen. "And... here is twin two..." the second baby comes into focus as it too moves around the screen. I just lie back and watch them move in conjunction with a smile on my face. "I'm just going to take a few measurements, so I'll be quiet for a while. Nothing to worry about, I just need to concentrate."

I nod before turning to glance at Daniel. My heart flutters as I watch the way his eyes study the screen intently, absorbing every movement our babies make with a childish wonder.

"So, sixteen weeks and everything looks beautiful. Your bloods all look normal, and you have said you're feeling better physically. All good things! Now, I want to see you every four weeks from now on, just so I can make sure the babies are still happy. This is normal with twins and the closer we get to your due date, it's likely I'll want to see you much more regularly. The aim with twins is to keep them in there as long as possible, but once we get to about thirty-two weeks, they may have other ideas. So, it's best to review you as often as possible so there are no surprises!" He nods reassuringly. "My last question for today... do you want to know what you're having?"