Chapter 37

My eyes are wide, and my breathing is ragged in anticipation of what Madison will say. For once, her usual unflappable exterior is one of sheer panic. Madison repeatedly twists her hands, intertwining her fingers over and over in front of her chest as though her mind is desperately trying to think of the right words to say to appease her son.

While I study her reddening cheeks, along with her failure to immediately talk her way out of the situation, I know that Daniel has no idea about the pre-nuptial agreement that she wants me to sign. Although I would happily sign anything that proves I'm not interested in Daniel's wealth, I cannot help but feel relief flood through my veins that he hasn't been liaising with his mother and their lawyers behind my back.

Turning towards Daniel, I see that he makes no attempt to open the envelope. His lips are pursed while he slowly sits down next to me. He never takes his eyes off Madison, waiting patiently for her to explain herself.

My heart pounds so loudly in my ears, I feel as though they both should be able to hear it. Every fibre inside me wants to end the silence, and spare Daniel from the pain he is about to experience when he understands the level of Madison's control and manipulation. But, I keep my mouth closed because I don't have the energy to continue to run the gauntlet of shielding Daniel while Madison revels in every opportunity to belittle me and our relationship.

"What's in the envelope? What am I supposed to know? Mom, please explain what's going on?" Daniel suddenly looks like a lost little boy. His brow is deeply furrowed in confusion, but when he looks at Madison, although he's angry, there is still hope in his eyes that his Mom is on his side.

"You need to understand... my darling... everything I do is to... to... protect you." She stutters uncharacteristically as though every word is causing her physical pain.

"Protect me from what?" His tone is perfectly calm. But knowing Daniel, I imagine that his mind is whirling underneath his cool facade.

"From... her." Madison flicks her head towards me.

My body stiffens in response to the venom in her words, but I refuse to rise to the bait. If I react emotionally now, I know her crocodile tears will only cloud Daniel's view of the situation. He needs to see her for what she is, so I remain silent.

"From who?" Daniel asks bitterly, clearly not acknowledging the fact that Madison has only referred to me as her.

"Lizzie... oh, Daniel... you have to understand. She has trapped you! Her getting pregnant was no accident, she knew that after you had been nearly murdered that it was likely you would move on with your life... that you wouldn't want her anymore. You nearly died because of her!" Madison rants like she is possessed.

Daniel scrunches his eyes tightly closed, clearly distraught by Madison's vicious words. He swiftly rubs his hands down his face, and I watch the colour drain from his face. "You want to know something crazy?"

His eerily calm tone surprises Madison. "Daniel, my darling boy! I am the only person you can trust! She has you blindsided and she will take you for every penny you have ever earned, just like Lucy tried-"

Daniel cuts her off by slamming the envelope down on the coffee table. The noise echoes around the room making me exhale a loud gasp of shock. Daniel briefly looks towards me before reaching across to gently stroke my cheek. His attention then returns to Madison who remains frozen to the spot. "Don't you ever compare Lizzie to Lucy again. Do you hear me?"

"Please just listen-" Madison begins to talk again.

"Did you hear me?" He shouts.

Madison nods silently.