Chapter 14

The whirlwind journey from the airport to the sanctuary of our hotel suite has left me barely able to keep my eyes open.

"You rest, baby. I've just got to pop out for a meeting. I shouldn't be more than a couple of hours." Daniel fidgets with his hands as he talks. Even from my horizontal position lying on the enormous bed, half asleep, I know something is on his mind. He paces nervously before realising that I'm watching him intently.

"Where are you going? You never mentioned any meetings?" I force myself to sit up, even though every muscle in my body screams in exhaustion. "I'll come with you." I climb off the bed and reach for my shoes.

Daniel stops me by gently placing his hand on my shoulder. He guides me back to sitting on the bed, and takes the seat next to me. Pulling me close against him, he buries his nose into my air, and I hear him inhale deeply.

"It's nothing for you to worry about. It's just something I should have done months ago. It won't take long... I promise." He kisses my temple softly. "These babies are taking it out of you, so you have a bath and a nap... then I'll be back."

I don't have the energy to question him any more, and if I'm in completely honest, the sound of a hot bath and a nap sound like heaven. I expect to feel anxious about whatever Daniel is keeping from me, but I know I trust him to tell me when he's ready. "OK, I am a little tired." As if my body relaxes with the notion, a huge yawn escapes my mouth. I cover my widened mouth with the back of my hand and then grin at Daniel.

He stands up, collects his phone and wallet from the bedside table, and turns back towards me. The smile that is etched across his beautiful face as his eyes meet mine melts my heart. His blue eyes peer into my soul, and in return my grin widens. "What?" I ask, dumbfounded by the contentment in his smile.

"You are so beautiful." He says as he strides round to me. Daniel kisses me firmly on the lips before he pulls away. "I love you." He takes a step away from me before swiftly turning round to kiss me again.

"I love you too. Please don't be long."

"Two hours." He says as he walks with a spring in his step towards the door.

"OK, but by then I'm going to be starving." I chuckle, knowing it's the truth.

"Sightseeing and dinner." He flashes me a wicked grin as he opens the suite door.

"I want a burger.... with fries... and a strawberry milkshake." I shout to ensure he can hear me as he begins to close the door behind him.

I watch as he nods in greeting to the security guard outside of our suite. "Anything your heart desires!" He shouts in return.

Thinking he's gone, I slowly slide off the bed and begin to walk across the solid oak floor towards the bathroom. Smiling to myself at Daniel's infectious good mood, I jump when the door springs open.

"Don't open the door to anyone." He says with authority.

"Yes, sir!" I salute animatedly and I'm sure I hear him say idiot lightheartedly as he closes the door again.

Entering the huge, stark white bathroom, I can't help but appreciate the art that hangs on the walls. Black and white prints of famous New York landmarks adorn the bathroom walls. Black glossy tiles fill the wall above the double sinks, and also inside the walk-in shower. The bath is staged in the centre of the room, raised above the rest of the white floor on black tiles. Compared to the rest of the white tiles in the bathroom, it certainly makes a stunning centrepiece.

There is an array of choice of bubble bath, and I take my time studying each of them. I open them all in turn, and take a sniff to see which one I want. Flicking on the hot water, I settle on lavender. I pour in a generous amount and watch the bubbles expand until they fill the entire surface of the water.