Chapter Forty-Three

Unlike Philip, Bernard got two of the many jobs he applied for. It was just like Harry to congratulate anyone but Philip. "Your parents gave up a guy like you? Any man would kill to have you as a son." He slapped Bernard on the back a few times while giving Philip a side eye. "Hopefully one of the two jobless men in this house eventually get it together."

When Harry left to the restroom, Bernard put is guard down just to cringe at Philip. "I found a few apartments for us. The sooner we meet with the landlord then the sooner we get away from that man."

"Why am I not doing it, Bernard? Everything I do in his eyes in the wrong thing. You could wreck his new truck and he'll find some way to shun me." Philip ran his fingers through his wild blond hair as he circled another job listing in the newspaper. "Tell me your plan."

"Well, the jobs I got are the same jobs that I didn't mention the fact that I served the country. Everyone else threw me out onto the street."

Philip still couldn't understand how saving his country from being taken over would lead to so much resentment from his own people. "This is bullshit! I was born here like everyone else. I go overseas one time and suddenly it's like I'm some sort of monster."

The sound of bell above the diner's door went off as Elowen entered the building. She saw Philip and tried not to shiver but he saw it.

"What do you want me to tell Harry?"

"I went outside or something. Just make sure his back is always towards me." Philip slid out the booth and met Elowen near her table. He sat across from her, the smile never leaving his face, then handed her a letter. "I wrote this for you the day before we departed."

All she could do was smile at him as she stuffed the letter in her purse. "I'll read it when I get home. I promise. We have bigger things to discuss."

"Like what? We're here together and we can finally be together."

"I'm engaged." Philip almost fell out of his chair when she showed him a ring with a small diamond attached to a silver brand. "We can't be together and we can't move in together."

"You're not being serious are you? You let another man around my child?"

Elowen rolled her eyes. "You weren't even around your child."

Philip slammed his index finger down on the table as he tried not to throw himself across it. "And you think it's my fault my old man shipped me off to a shit hole!" He spat through his teeth. "I almost died, Elowen! Died! I spent every second thinking about our family while you were sleeping around with every guy who looked your way."

Elowen simply nodded before grabbing her purse and getting up to head towards the exit. "You haven't changed Philip. While you were off fighting a war and now sitting at home 'cause you can't get a job. I'm actually getting closer and closer to a degree so I can actually feed my daughter. My family."

"You're sick, Elowen. You've become mental in that education tower you think you live in and you've always been sick. Dragging your ass into my life then having a baby just to hang her over my head and now I can't even see her? You didn't even bring her!"

"Philip-" Two men hit the ground when the sound of a loud bang echoed throughout the diner. Philip was one of them. Elowen jumped in her spot without a clue of what was going on.

Then a woman in an apron stepped out with a dust of dirt going across her cheek. "Please, calm down everyone. Our oven door finally gave out." A group of old ladies giggled in the background causing the waitress to go over to them to continue the conversation.

Philip eventually peeled himself off the ground then glanced over at Bernard who was doing the same thing. Elowen assisted him to his feet as worry drenched her face. "We're not going to get anything done arguing like this." He hesitantly brushed a strand of coil hair off her cheek. "Because I love you, Elowen. I still do. I don't want you to leave me for him. I need you. I have always needed you. Remember the times we did everything together? When we were young and in love? I know we're still in love."

Elowen looked at him sympathetically while softly wrapping her hand around his wrist. She started to pull him away from her cheek but she couldn't move. They stared at each other for a while until she finally blinked.

"Philip... I've never forgotten." A smile slowly creeped on his face. "When you lied to me. When you belittled me. When you called me names. When you hit me." A tear slipped her cheek and landed right on Philip's hand that was still pressed to her face. "We were just kids but it never felt like that with you. So here falls the tears I cried when I was a young girl crying over you. But you never felt them." She pulled his wet hand away from her face. "And now you do."

He wiped his hand on his pants leg soon after. "That doesn't change anything. We're adults now."

The grip on her purse tightened. "Like I said, you haven't changed."

"Fuck, Elowen! What can I do?" He pleaded.

"Nothing! I'm engaged!" Elowen left immediately after that escaped her mouth.

Philip went back to sit with Bernard and his father once the bell above the door rang. Harry was face first in a pancake while Bernard continued to sip on his coffee.

"Bernard hit the ground like a dead fly." Harry commented. "I saw the whole thing with my own eyes. Where the hell were you?"

Bernard looked like a scared dog. "Philip went outside. And it was just a little after shock is all? That's what they call it right?" Philip looked down at Bernard's hands that shook violently. He then looked down at his own that seemed perfectly fine. "They say it goes away. Like a bad dream."

Harry chuckled to himself as he downed his apple juice. "You two probably heard bombs every morning until night fall. That is never going away."