Chapter Thirty-Nine

January

"President Nixon signs the Paris Peace Accords putting an end to the US having direct involvement in the Vietnam War. Troops are set to depart Vietnam over the course of two months. Another victory for America." Vernon set the newspaper and magazine down on a random desk in Elowen's dorm. "But I'm guessing you read this already."

Elowen smiled as she peered over her book to look at him. "Keeping up with whatever Nixon has going on is the only way I feel safe. The man could issue a bomb on his own country and I wouldn't know it."

"Do you think they would put that in the newspaper?" She shrugged at him. "That Philip guy... do you think he'll be on the ships."

She shrugged once again. "I said we weren't talking about this," Elowen sang. "I know meeting my family ended up in a lot of unanswered questions, but they are that way for a reason. No one knows if he's dead or alive and because of that, we will always remain uncertain."

"Not always," Vernon muttered. Elowen looked at him sideways which made him clear his throat. "I mean, if he's on the boat then we'll know sooner or later. From the story you've told me about how your mom found out about Yvette, he doesn't seem like a guy who would abandon his daughter."

"Philip never asked if Yvette was a boy or a girl. Never mentioned her. Just kept professing his love for me to the point that I stopped replying to his letters. Makes sense why he hasn't sent one either." She threw her book on her bed and went to her closet just to move around. "Now like I said. We aren't talking about this."

Vernon's lips formed into a straight lime as he stared at the newspaper as if the picture of five soldiers standing together in strength would come to life. He then sighed before grabbing his bag to leave Elowen alone without even saying goodbye. Out of the corner of her eyes, she waited until he closed her door before she dove over to the newspaper. Her hands gripped the thin sheet desperately as her eyes stared down at the mentioned soldiers.

"My God!" She covered her quivering lips as a tear fell from her eye. The blurry face due to the tears was still recognizable even if the picture quality was low. Yet, there he was, Philip Hill. Hand draped over one guys shoulder who was one over from the middle. Philip stood at the end with a gun in his hand. All of them were full of smiles, most likely proud of the news. Elowen pulled the newspaper closer to her chest as she let out a sob filled with joy and fear.

"You're not too far off," Charlie smirked. Elowen ignored his tactics to piss her off for the millionth week in a row. "I scored a ninety-seven, but a ninety- two isn't bad. I recommend you spend less time smacking lips with Vernon and more time getting your head in your studies. There will be plenty of saliva when you're a kindergarten teacher." He nudged her with his elbow jokingly when in reality his elbow was bony enough that it hurt.

She moved away from him just a tad and cracked open her textbook. "Despite me hating everything about you, I have a serious question."

"Nice to know I'm doing something right," he cheesed."So, what's the questions?"

"Well, you know how you've been telling me about your brothers letters he's been sending you from war? Have those stopped?"

Charlie shook his head no. "Last letter I got was two weeks ago. He told me he was coming home but he had no where to go. Said he'd be staying with a friend until I graduate. His letters were frequent if that's what you're asking. It's actually nice to know because with my studies and this job, I haven't sent him a letter an over a year. Then again, he has no one else to send one too."

Elowen looked away from her book since this conversation seemed more intriguing. "What do you mean? Did you guys lose your parents."

"Bernard was a hard egg growing up. Always into trouble. My parents said the only thing good he's done was volunteer to go to war. They hoped he'd come back a different person. But in '71, they came by to visit me and said they wanted nothing to do with the guy. They said the war would make him suffer mentally and they didn't have the energy to deal."

She gasped. "Why are your parents so cruel to him?"

Charlie shrugged. "Was there a point behind that question?"

Elowen thought about it for a minute then shook her head. "Let's just get back to it. I have a quiz in an hour."