Chapter 10: Masquerade Ball

Song of the chapter: Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran

So it's been a couple weeks since I got asked to the dance and nothing really exciting has happened. Chrissy and I have become really good friends with Jordan and we actually share a couple classes together and the same lunch period so we hang out all the time now.

Last Tuesday we were in our home ec class and we were told to make a cake using bacon and whatever else ingredient we wanted, but it had to resemble a cake. So, me and Jo Jo (Jordan) decided to put bacon inside the cake batter and hash browns for "sprinkles" and called it our breakfast cake. Lets just say Mrs. Walton threw it up but gave us a 'B' for "creativity ". Tyler has been extra clingy lately and it's starting to piss me off but whatever he's probably just going through something right now. Whenever I ask if he's okay, he just brushes it of and fake smiles. Mason has been Mason. We've hung out outside of school and finished our history project that is due next Monday. Now it's Friday and tonight is the dance. To say I'm nervous is an understatement. It has nothing to do with Tyler and all to do with me. What if someone asks me to dance? Of course someone is going to ask, it is a dance after all. But what of someone notices that I don't suck, or if they think I'm good? Or what if I make an absolute fool of myself? Oh God, I can't do this. I don't want to risk it. Oh God.

"Jasmine. You okay there? You look flushed." Someone rubs my arm soothingly with concern laced in his voice.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine just a little nervous for the dance tonight." I assure Mason giving him a kind smile.

He gives me a look that says he doesn't believes me but let's it go. Chris, on the other hand, gives me a knowing look and pulls me into a hug. She's the only other person besides my family who knows what happened back in Freshman year and I plan to keep it that way for now.

"You'll be okay, and we'll talk about this at home." She murmurs in my ear and I nod pulling away and grabbing my backpack and walking out of the school. I hear footsteps behind me and I see Mason jogging down the hallway shouting my name.

"What?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows as he makes his way to me.

"Are you sure you're okay? You just seemed kind of out of it all day." He says concerned. He's not wrong. I have been zoning out all day and not paying attention to my surroundings.

"Mason" I sigh. "I promise I'm okay. Just thinking a lot about the dance tonight. Which reminds me, are you going? I never asked you?" I realized. He never once mentioned anything about the dance for the past two weeks.

"Alright. And to answer you're question: you'll just have to find out." He smirks with a wink and walks away, leaving me to stand there confused in the hallway.

💃💃💃

"Honey, do you wanna talk about it?" My mom asks while rubbing circles on my back. She used to do that whenever I got nervous or sick. Sitting around me in the kitchen is my dad, sitting across from me, my mom on my right, and Chrissy on my left. They all know what happened and they're attempting to comfort me.

"It's just that I don't want something bad to happen or anything." I sigh, leaning back on the stool.

"If anyone makes you feel uncomfortable at all tonight, I will be right there at your side to protect you." Christine says in a overly protective mother's voice.

I chuckle. "Thanks Chris, I'm glad I'm not leaving you a third wheel though. At least while I'm hanging out with Ty you can go dance with Jordan." Chrissy and Jordan both got asked to homecoming by a couple of guys but declined because they wanted to go single and be strong independent women like Beyoncé or something.