Chapter 33: New Year's

Song of the chapter: Stella by All Time Low

***Dedicated to @meee_and_calpal7 for being an avid voter and commenter! Keep it up!

"Are you ready for tonight?" Adriana asks from the kitchen counter, shoving her face in apple pie.

"Yeah, I guess." I mutter absent mindedly.

Chris still isn't talking. She just flat out ignores me and at night, I hear her bawling her eyes out. What am I supposed to do when she wont let me in? Every time I try to help, she screams in my face to leave her alone. I hate seeing her like this. It hurts me to see my best friend in pain and shut me out.

"Thinking about Chrissy?" Adri breaks me from my thoughts and I sigh.

"Yeah."

She pauses a moment, a pondering expression in her eyes before speaking.

"I'll be right back!" She rushes out of the kitchen and flies up the stairs taking two at a time, and I shake my head with a small smile playing on my lips.

A few minutes later she comes back down the stairs.

"Can you come here for a second? I need your help with something." I give her a confused look and she just motions me upstairs.

"What do you need help with?" I ask when we reach my bedroom door.

She ignores me and hesitantly opens the door, as if a rabid beast was on the other side, waiting to pounce.

What was waiting inside wasn't too far off from a crazed animal, it was Chrissy.

Before I could even process what was going on, Adriana was already out the door and locked us in.

"Adriana!" I yelled. "Open the door! This isn't funny!" I slam my fists onto the door but no reply.

Great.

Sighing, I turn around to see Chrissy sitting at my desk with a blank expression. Those are the worst- when you can't tell if someone is going to blow up in anger or start bawling. Or both.

"Hi Chris." I offer a small smile and get nothing in return.

"Chrissy, please talk to me." I walk over to the chair and place my hand on her shoulder. She closes her eyes for a second, as if trying to collect her emotions, and reopens them. But this time with sadness in her eyes instead of emptiness.

"I'm sorry." Is the first thing she blurts and my eyes widen in surprise.

"Chris-"

"I'm sorry I've been such a bitch for the past like week and I'm sorry I've ignored you and snapped at you and just been a really sucky friend meanwhile you're trying so hard to comfort me and I'm just pushing you away like the coward I am. I'm sorry I told Seth and not you first. I'm sorry for everything. I'm so so so sorry. I'm sorry." She broke at the last sentence, full on tears and sobs.

I immediately enveloped her into a hug, shushing her soothingly and stroking her hair like a mother would do to a distraught child having nightmares. I guess it's no different. I had always been seen as the mother of our friend group and that hasn't changed. And right now, Chrissy is living this nightmare and I'm just trying to help her make it go away.

I'm not sure how much later, but she finally calmed into little sniffles and begins to speak.

"My mom has cancer."

***

After a lot more tears from both Chrissy and me, I invited her to the party tonight in hopes of cheering her up but she decided to stay in tonight and rest.