Chapter 28: Mystery Girl

Song of the chapter: Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy

***Dedicated to Logan because he's a buttmunch and points out my spelling errors!

"Mom, can I talk to you about something." I say seriously, walking into my parent's bedroom.

"Sure. What about?" She sets down her phone and gives me her undivided attention.

That's what I love about my mom. The second I want to talk, she's all ears, no distractions.

"Well, um. I want- I want." I stutter, feeling really nervous all of a sudden. My eyes lock on my toes, not wanting to look up.

"You want..." She trails off, waiting for me to continue.

"I-" Spit it out Jasmine!

"I want to try out for the dance squad at my school." I blurt out without thinking, before I could chicken out.

"You what?" Shock replaces her previous curious face and I sigh.

"I want to dance again, mom." I say, my eyes slowly make their way up.

"That's great! What brought this about?" My mom wonders, a smile on her slightly aged face.

"A couple weeks ago, the coach stopped me and talked to me about it. It's been on my mind ever since." I admit, feeling slightly embarrassed.

"Do you feel comfortable going back?" She asks in her motherly tone.

"Yeah, I think I'm ready." A small smile of my own breaking out on my face.

"Well , if you're really sure about it, and you thought long and hard about it, then I support you one hundred percent." I run up and give my mom a hug.

"Thank you." I whisper, snuggling into my mother's welcoming arms.

"You're welcome, chipmunk." She laughs and I groan, pulling away.

"Mom." I complain, giving her an annoyed look.

"What? I think it's a cute nickname." She play innocent and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, four year old me and my cheeks stuffed full of food is real adorable. Especially when you carry on that nickname to your seventeen year old daughter." I deadpan. My mother only laughs.

"Shoo, be gone! I have to finish ordering more fabric for the spring clothing line." She swats me out of the room and I laugh.

"Okay, okay! Thanks mom! Love you!" I call out rushing out of the room.

"Be gone chipmunk!" She yells, making me burst into laughter.

My family is so weird.

🐻🐻🐻

I climb to my little spot on the roof with my guitar and laptop in tow and settle in, making myself comfy.

Opening up YouTube, I search up acoustic covers of my favorite songs and save them under my Covers Playlist. One in particular catches my eye and I click on the song, immediately getting to work.

I've been struggling to find the perfect present for Mason. Trying to find that certain something for that certain someone is way harder than it appears. I've been too focused on buying a present that making one didn't even cross my mind. The perfect idea came to me that morning in the crisp winter air. The clean, stress free atmosphere cleared my head just enough to let the perfect idea pass through my head.

I had been so engrossed into making his present that I hadn't noticed the sun shift through the sky to sunset, making the sky beautify shades of pink, red, orange, and blue. The perfect masterpiece.