Chapter 27: Arrested

Song of the chapter: Cop Car by Keith Urban.

Dedicated to my best friend Katie for giving me an awesome idea for this chapter! Enjoy!

Christmas break!

I'm so excited. Back in Ohio, it snowed from November to April and it was always a white Christmas. This year is different. I've heard the lowest it gets in winter time is 45 degrees! That's like spring on a good day back in my hometown.

Anywho, last night, the whole family went out and bought a great, big, Christmas tree. It's so big and fluffy, I just wanted to get lost in the needles and scent. Mason text me this morning asking if he could come help decorate my house for the holidays so I told him sure; now we're six hours into decorating and I'm about to fall over in exhaustion.

"I'm gunna go upstairs and order a pizza for us. Is pepperoni and sausage okay?" I ask Mason who's putting the last of the tinsel on my tree.

"Sure." he replies absentmindedly. Nodding, I climb the stairs slowly, searching through my contacts for Domino's number.

I should just have them and the Chinese place on speed dial.

I'm just finish telling the pizza man my address when Mason bursts into the room with a panicked expression.

"Jasmine!" He huffs, wide eyed.

"What?"

"The- the tree!" He stutters, pointing out my door.

"What about the tree?"

"It's-it's on fire!" He bursts and my eyes go wide.

"What!?" I yell.

"Come on!" He grabs my hand and pulls me down the stairs, making me drop my phone in the process, probably shattering it.

I almost tripped on the last step and swing around the corner to see that my tree is indeed, on fire. Smoke flows out from behind the tree and I freak out.

"Holy shit! What do we do?!" I scream, looking around in a panic.

"Do you have a fire extinguisher?" He yells back, panic in his voice.

"Fuck, I don't know- wait!" I run into the kitchen and yank open the cabinet doors under the sink.

"Aha!" I grab the extinguisher and run back into the living room.

"How the hell do I use it?" I'm searching frantically for an 'on' button or something when Mason yanks it out of my grasp.

"Let me do it!" He starts poking the container and I roll my eyes.

"You're doing it wrong!" I grab it back and pull the metal piece put and shoot.

"Whoa!" I stumble back and stop shooting, trying to regain my balance.

"You okay?" Mase asks, concerned.

"Fine." I go back to aiming at my tree and shoot, strings of white just come out.

"What the fuck?" I shake the extinguisher and try again. Nothing.

I look to Mason for help but he's doubled over on the floor, shaking.

"Mason, Mason! What wrong?" I cry, shaking his body, attempting to turn him over.

"I- I- AHAHA-GOT-AHAHA-YOU!" He bellows, tears streaming down his perfect face.

"What the actual fuck?" I drop my hands from his body, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"You-you-should've seen-ahaha-your face!" He cries, holding his stomach in pain.