Chapter 45 - Xander

I couldn't sit still. Knowing that my mate was in the hands of that rogue and I couldn't just run after him myself made me fucking tick with irritation and restlessness. It took everything inside of me to stay on the pack grounds and wait for the scouts to find Elias, even though I knew it was the right thing to do. Still, it didn't make it any easier. If it were me going out there, I probably would have found him already and beaten that damn rogue to a fucking pulp.

"Xander," Felix hummed, sitting in his office chair. "You're pacing again."

I stopped and looked at him, pouting at the realization that he was right. "Fuck, I can't help it."

"Some of the scouts will be here any minute, I know it. We'll get Elias back," Felix said determinedly, his alpha qualities showing through his confident words and tone.

"I fucking know we will," I spat back in response. "I just hate being on the sidelines when my mate could be in danger."

If I said I wasn't going fucking insane, I'd be lying. My heart was beating rapidly in anxiety and it wouldn't stop. The strangest feeling coursed through my veins, an unexplainable feeling. Ever since Elias and I first touched at the training grounds, I was suddenly able to feel his presence in a way. It didn't make any sense, and the sensation was faint, but it was sure as hell there. Now, I could feel how distant Elias was from me. Not to sound weird, but it was as if my heart was being tugged on by the mate bond itself.

I sat down in a chair near the bookshelf in Felix's office and furrowed my brow. I understood that I had to stay here with Felix. If the rogue had a trap or an ambush set and Felix and I got caught in it, the Shadowclaw pack would fall into the rogue's hands. Without a head alpha, head beta or head warrior, even a wolf pack as strong as ours would crumble.

As I sunk into the chair and bit at my nails, three knocks at Felix's office door startled me out of my toxic headspace. I straightened my back, anxious to know if scouts were at the door, and if they had any word of where the hell my mate was.

"Come in," Felix stated.

The door opened to reveal Eris and Wren, two of the scouts that were dispatched to search for Elias. Upon seeing their faces, Felix and I both stood and awaited their report.

Felix spoke, his voice holding a dignified tone. "I assume you came here because you have information?"

"Yes," Eris responded stoically. "The human and the rogue have been found. Aspen and another wolf were there, as well."

Felix quickly took off his reading glasses and moved away from his desk as she spoke, preparing to take action. I moved closer to the door, my inner wolf slowly creeping to the surface in a strong urge to get to my mate and claw the rogue's eyes out.

"Aspen wanted us to inform you that she and the other wolf need assistance with battling the rogue," Wren added, relaying the message with little inflection in his voice. "It looked as though they had already suffered minor injuries."

"Thank you," Felix said. "I would like you two to take us to their location. Quickly fetch some saddle bags of extra clothes."

"Yes, alpha," Eris and Wren responded simultaneously.

The two of them immediately shifted into their wolf forms and headed towards the stairwell and out of the building, Felix placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder as we followed suit. When the two of us opened the front doors of the Shadowclaw headquarters building, Eris and Wren were already prepared with the extra clothes. Felix climbed onto Eris' back and I climbed onto Wren's; it was important for us to save our energy for the fight where we could, and running for miles into No Man's Land would have expended that energy when we could use it to rip that fucking rogue's fangs out.

"They said there was another wolf with Aspen," Felix said to me as we rode across out of the pack territory and into the uncharted terrain of No Man's Land. "They must have been talking about Luca. They left together."

"Yeah, well I hope they've been protecting Elias. I'm sure he's scared." The tugging on my heart felt less straining as we neared their location, but my uneasiness didn't lessen.

"Yeah, I hope they're all ok. That damn rogue has caused more trouble than it's worth."

We rode through the grasslands until the trees and shrubs went from sparse to abundant. Eris and Wren twisted through the forest terrain until we reached a clearing. They stopped, causing Felix and I look up ahead and see the movement. The two of us dismounted the scouts and they waited for another order from Felix.

"Thank you both. You can either stay here or go back to the pack, just make sure to leave the clothes. The choice is yours."

They both stood with their chests puffed out slightly, no intentions of leaving their alpha. Felix smiled at them but his gaze changed to one of concern as he flicked his gaze towards me. "Are you ready?"

"You fucking know it," I gritted through my teeth.

We both shifted into our wolf forms while we were far enough away and out of sight, and then we ran towards Aspen, Luca and the rogue. I'm going to save my fucking mate, I thought, and I'm going to rip that fucking rogue to shreds in the process.

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

I can't even lie to you guys, Ryland is going to get the beating of his life 😭 If you learn anything from this book, it should be to never EVER keep a werewolf from their mate. It will end badly for you. If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote and comment your thoughts! - D ♡