Chapter 27 - Elias

How in the world was I supposed to get top secret information on head alpha Felix in three days when we barely even talked?

I'd thought about not following through with Ryland's demand, but I knew good and well that he would kill my parents without hesitation and find another means to get what he wanted, most likely in a less subtle way. I couldn't just ask alpha Felix to spill his and the Shadowclaw pack's weak spots. The only way I could find what Ryland needed was by going through alpha Felix's things. Almost immediately after the realization, I knew that I had to somehow get into his office.

I came home after dark again last night and, according to Luca, I had been fidgeting slightly since then. It made sense considering I'd had a lot on my mind for the past couple of days. Luca cared about me so much, and I wish he knew how grateful I was that he was giving me space and doing his best to not ask questions. I couldn't say a word about any of this, not to him or anyone else. I was trapped with no way out.

Luca and I were on the couch and had just finished eating our lunch when we heard a pair of keys jingling outside of the apartment. Before long, the door opened to reveal a panting Aspen with a bottle of water in hand.

"Sorry guys, I had to train again this afternoon. I've been slacking and I have to keep in shape," Aspen said through fatigued gasps, patting her thin stomach dramatically.

"It's ok, you're here now," Luca smiled. "So now what?"

"You really need to get a TV," I said, elbowing Luca's side.

"I know, I know!" He winced and scowled playfully at me. "In my defense, it's not like I have any money."

"I could get you one," Aspen said enthusiastically. "Or alpha Felix could, or Xan— nah, nevermind, I don't think Xander would..."

Luca spoke determinedly. "No, Aspen. I could never ask you for something like that."

"But you'd ask me to break the Shadowclaw pack's unspoken rule by bringing a human back here?" She questioned sarcastically, making Luca wince a bit at her fiery comment.

"H-Hey, I'm right here!" I said, waving my arms.

The three of us busted out laughing in an instant. It never took very long for our stomachs to hurt and our eyes to water because of how we entertained each other. We were all sprawled on the couch together, trying to calm down and catch our breaths.

"Oh, I almost forgot!" Aspen gasped, popping her head up from the end of the couch. "Felix was at the training grounds again talking to Xander. He called me over and said that we're invited to a private dinner with him tonight at the pack headquarters."

While Aspen was gushing in excitement, Luca and I turned to look at each other, confusement and apprehension in our expressions.

"Why would he want Elias and I to be there?" Luca asked, genuinely curious.

"Why wouldn't he?" Aspen responded. "He likes you two, it's not hard to tell. He probably just wants to get to know you guys better and relax for a bit. After all, it's like his first day off in a month!"

After a moment, I realized the value of this opportunity. We would be having dinner in the pack headquarters, where alpha Felix's office was. I tried to hide my increased anxiousness from Luca and Aspen. I now had one opportunity to get the information I needed.

"So what time is it now and when is the dinner?" I asked, trying not to seem suddenly interested.

"Hm, well right now it's about three," Aspen said, looking at her watch. "And the dinner's going to be at six."

"What? Don't we need to get some more decent clothes?" Luca said, looking concerned.

"Relax, Luca!" Aspen patted his shoulder. "You think alpha Felix is going to care about you getting all dressed up? He just wants you to be yourself. It's just going to be Felix, Xander, and us three. Besides, it's really just about the food." She got up and stretched her arms out, walking back to the front door. "I'm going to go shower and fix a snack. I'll be back around 5:30 so we can leave."

Before I knew it, it was almost 5:30. I was nervous to the core, my hands trembling slightly. It was almost time for me to make my move. I had one chance to get the information for Ryland, one chance to save my parents from being killed. I couldn't risk failing.

There was a knock at the door and Luca jumped up to open it.

"Ready?" Aspen said, her vivid red hair in a casual side braid.

The three of us left the apartment complex and made our way to the Shadowclaw pack headquarters. We took our time, as Luca was determined not to sweat since he didn't feel he was dressed appropriately. Aspen rolled her eyes but slowed her pace, telling Luca that he looked fine and that he was being too critical about his appearance.

While slowing our pace made me feel a bit better considering what I had to do when we got to our destination, I also wanted to get the task over with at the same time. My anxiety was going in what felt like endless circles.

By the time I'd stopped replaying through my mind what I had to do, we'd made it to the building. There were a couple of warriors outside guarding the main doors, and they let us in immediately since they recognized us from last time. I took a deep breath. There was no turning back.

✩。:*•.─────  ❁ ❁  ─────.•*:。✩

Elias is going to act soon. How do you think this situation play out, and how will the dinner go? If you're enjoying the story so far, please leave a vote and comment your thoughts! - D ♡