Chapter 31 - Xander

Even in the middle of training, I couldn't stop thinking about how I'd fucking caught Elias redhanded and going through Felix's shit. As much as Felix wanted me to be more trusting towards people, I just couldn't because when I did loosen up, shit like this happened. And what the hell did I ever expect from a fucking human? No good could have come from his arrival here.

My mind was a whole mess right now. I didn't get much sleep and to top it off, I hadn't had sex in a damn while. Well, it'd probably been about a week or two, but my sex drive is fucking off the charts so it felt like forever since I last got laid. As stupid and douchey as it sounds, sex was my stress reliever.

Even though I was head warrior and enjoyed training and combat, sex temporarily filled a void inside of me. It wasn't necessarily the best way to pass the time, but it's not like I could find anything else to fucking cope.

"Break," I called, making everyone look over and then run to get water and towels.

I rubbed the sweat from my brow and stood in the hot sun, my mind occupied. I was so spaced out that I didn't even feel the tapping finger on my shoulder.

"Hey, you ok?" Felix asked.

He'd skipped doing his work today, and I didn't fucking blame him. He had so many papers to deal with. I'd throw them all out the fucking window if I had that much to do, but I guess his second best option was to procrastinate.

"I'm fine," I responded, turning towards him and raising an eyebrow. "Why?"

"You called for the warriors to go on break five minutes early," His lips formed a small smile. "I don't think you've ever let them go on break early. Unless it was unintentional?"

I lifted Felix's arm, looking down at the watch on his wrist and then back up at him, scoffing. "Fuck off."

We both walked over to the shaded area near the benches and talked about random shit. Felix leaned against a wooden pole and I did the same, occasionally taking swigs of my water and stretching my arms out.

When there was a pause in our conversation, I went to get another water bottle from the cooler. As I leaned down to grab one, I saw Luca and Elias sitting on a bench in near silence. Elias' eyes looked dead, as if he'd been crying or hadn't gotten any sleep. It's probably guilt, I thought, if humans even have any fucking emotions.

Seeing him made all of my thoughts from last night come back to the front and center of my brain. I also thought about something else: I'd fucking let him walk away that night. He was sifting through confidential papers that had to do with pack affairs and alliances, and I'd fucking let him walk away scot-free. What in the ever-loving fuck was I thinking?

I put the water bottle back in the cooler and closed the lid, and then I stood up and made my way towards the two shitheads. Luca noticed me first since Elias was rubbing his face, and he looked at me with slightly narrowed eyes. As I stood in front of them, I could see Elias instantly tense up. Luca put his hand on Elias' shoulder to comfort him and he calmed down a bit, his eyes still sunken but no longer watery.

"What is it, Xander?" Luca asked, giving me a look that showed his protectiveness over his troubled friend.

"I need to talk to Elias," I said bluntly.

I'd let my guard down that night, and I'd be damned if I didn't correct it. I didn't give a fuck if Elias was crying. If it was anyone else in Felix's office that night, they would've gotten fucked up on the spot.

I noticed Luca's expression shift, as if the bastard was debating whether to give me permission to talk to his friend.

"It's important," I added with a sigh.

Luca eyed me with suspicion but reluctantly removed his hand from Elias' shoulder. Elias looked up at me with innocent eyes, an almost fearful expression on his face. I tilted my head, signaling him to follow me over to a quiet spot away from the other werewolves around the training grounds. He fiddled with his fingers and bit his bottom lip nervously.

"Why were you looking through Felix's shit at the dinner?" I asked bluntly.

Elias gulped and hesitated, but spoke when he noticed my intense glare that was aimed directly towards him. "I-I was, um... I was..."

"I wouldn't fucking lie if I were you," I spat, my tone laced with intimidation that made him take a step back.

"I-I can't say," His voice wavered, tears lining his eyes. "It won't happen again, I promise. B-But I can't say."

What the fuck does that mean? I didn't expect him to confess on his own will, but I sure as hell didn't think he'd have the audacity to not say a word. Luckily for Elias, I wasn't in the fucking mood to interrogate him. Still, he had to know what trouble he was in.

"You'll tell me sooner or later," I said, looking him straight in the eye. "And if I find out somehow that you leaked some private information out to another pack, you're fucking dead."

He whimpered and nodded, another tear threatening to fall. I sighed and he backed away slowly before turning around to scamper off. Some fucking nerve. Did I fucking say I was done talking?

"Hey," I said, using my alpha voice out of irritation.

Elias faltered a bit, allowing me to pull him back since he wasn't out of my reach just yet. His arm swung back naturally as he tried to scurry off and I grabbed onto his wrist tightly. W-What the fuck? I let go of him just as quick, my eyes wide and staring at him in shock.

"D-Did you still need something?" He asked in hesitation and slight fear.

I shook my head no and after a moment he ran back to the bench where Luca sat. I looked at him as he ran off and then down at the palm of my hand. My body felt fucking strange, like a lightbulb went off inside of me, like I'd just been shocked but without the pain. Sure enough, this goddamned feeling was unmistakable. Elias is my fucking mate.

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Xander and Elias are mates?! So many of y'all guessed this so early on, you guys are clever! On a different note, FINALLY a mate pairing! I have to admit, it's been hard to do slowburn because I'm kind of impatient hehe ♡ If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote and comment what you thought! - D