Chapter 34 - Felix

My eyes widened at Xander's extreme statement. I knew that he hated humans and that he wasn't very fond of Elias. At the same time, I was hoping that he only said what he'd said because he was still shocked by finding out he had a mate. I'd hoped that he would calm down a bit after a moment, but his narrowed eyes and tightened jaw gave him an appearance that made me think that he wasn't changing his decision.

"What the fuck, Xander?" I looked him in the eye and made sure he returned my gaze when I spoke. "I know that you didn't want a mate, especially not a human, but you can not do something so permanent and... regrettable."

Xander looked down at his lap and fiddled with his fingers, and I could tell he was stressed and confused. "There's no way in hell I'm going to be mates with a human," he whispered sharply. "I'd reject them before I ever completed the mate bonding process, and that's exactly what I plan on doing."

"Hey," I said more harshly than I'd intended, seriousness evident in my tone. "If you reject Elias, you'll be the one suffering. You know the consequences."

Xander threw his hands in the air in mild exasperation. "Fuck, Felix! I'll be the one suffering if I don't reject him."

I sighed and placed a comforting hand on his back. "Hear me out. From what we've seen, Elias doesn't seem to react to certain things since he's human," I stated calmly, making sure that my voice stayed even. "You said that he didn't really react to you using your alpha voice and that he didn't even notice your bond when you grabbed his wrist."

Xander nodded and scratched the back of his head. His brows were furrowed and he had a pensive expression on his face, letting me know that he was listening intently to what I was saying. The fact that he was taking in what I had to say was relieving and it let me know that his mind wasn't dead set on the rash decision he was about to make.

I continued. "If you reject him, Xander, he might not feel a thing, but you will. You'll feel like shit, depressed and you'll feel like you're losing your mind."

He looked back up at me with fading patience. "What the fuck does that have to do with anything?"

"Because," I sighed, a desperate plea hidden within my tone. "With Elias, it might not matter whether you reject him or not since he's human. But with you... with you, if you reject him you could die, Xander. I won't watch my best friend suffer or even die over something like this."

"What are you saying, Felix?"

I pursed my lips. I didn't even know what I was trying to say at this point. "I just want you to live and be happy, Xander. And if you reject Elias, you'd be throwing everything away. And I think... I think you should come to accept your mate. The moon goddess gave him to you for a reason."

Xander adjusted to lean his head on his hand and he looked at me sympathetically. "I know rejecting my mate would make us both suffer. Well, at least me since he's not even a fucking werewolf. But, I don't know if I can accept this. I'll need time."

"I know, and you don't have to do anything right away. But the longer you take to complete the bond, the harder it'll be to hold off. Once you discover who your mate is, it's like a ticking time bomb."

Looking up at the ceiling, Xander took a deep breath. "I know," he chuckled dryly, rubbing a hand across his face. "I couldn't even finish my dick appointment because of all this. I even fucking hallucinated or some shit and saw Elias at one point."

"The mate bond really is powerful," I grinned. "It'll all work out, and I'm always here for you. You know that. Just give it a chance before you give up completely."

"Thanks, Felix. I would have exploded so many times if you hadn't been there for me."

I savored his words like they were a rare delicacy. Xander never forgets to thank me, but it was very uncommon for him to say any more than that. "I know," I smiled warmly. "You're pretty impulsive and hot-headed for a beta."

Xander flipped me off and then we both laughed on my bed. For his sake, I really hoped that Xander came to love his mate. It would be good for him, even though I knew he didn't realize it and was still hurt because of his past. Despite everything, something told me that it would all end well. As cliche as it sounded, Xander deserved the world, and I felt that Elias would be able to give him that if Xander opened his heart.

✩。:*•.─────  ❁ ❁  ─────.•*:。✩

Xander and Felix continue their heart-to-heart conversation. Xander has decided to not reject Elias (phew!) but what exactly is in store for their future? If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote and comment what you thought! - D ♡