Chapter 39 - Luca

Aspen went back to her apartment shortly after Elias left to go to the library and clear his head. I didn't blame him, either. I couldn't believe that Xander was his mate of all people. Elias was mates with arguably the most intimidating werewolf in the pack, while he himself was so innocent and kind. I just hoped that everything worked out, since a mate was someone that you were bonded to for life and you couldn't alter that fate, at least not without consequence.

I got into bed within 15 minutes of Aspen leaving, tucking myself under the sheets and duvet before reaching to turn off my lamp. I went to sleep with thoughts of the night's riveting conversation running through my mind. I can't help but wonder what my mate will be like.

When I opened my eyes, it was already the next morning. I stretched out my arms and arched my back in an attempt to wake myself up a bit. As I looked around tiredly, I saw that I was the only one in the bed. Usually, Elias sleeps in longer than I do. Slightly alarmed, I got up and walked around my apartment, checking my bathroom and closet. When I saw that both were empty, I left my room entirely and searched around the living room, kitchen, and guest bathroom. Elias wasn't there.

I ran my hands through my hair in distress. Elias wasn't in my apartment at all. Trying not to panic completely, I went over to Aspen's apartment and knocked on her door. After a moment, she answered, her bubbly demeanor quickly mellowing out after she saw my measly attempt at suppressing my troubled expression.

"Hey, Luca," she greeted. "What's up?"

I took a deep breath. "Elias isn't here. He didn't come home last night."

Her smile faded completely. "What?"

"I went to sleep early, not too long after you both left. And when I woke up this morning, he wasn't there. I don't, I don't know wha—"

"It's ok, Luca. It'll be alright. We'll find him."

Aspen went back inside for a minute and I heard muffled voices, which I assumed were hers and her brother's. When she came back, she shut the door promptly and grabbed my wrist, practically dragging me down the hallway.

"Where are we going?"

"We're going to check the library first. If he's not there, we're going to tell Xander that Elias is missing. If anyone can solve a problem, it's our head beta and head warrior."

I was skeptical of her determination. "But he doesn't like Elias. He probably won't care less and could even be grateful that he's gone," I replied pessimistically.

Aspen turned her head around to face me, not slowing her quick pace nor releasing her grip on my wrist. "If Xander and Elias are mates like we think they are, then nothing will stop Xander from finding him."

We entered the Shadowclaw library, a huge building that was almost overwhelming. Aspen and I split up to begin our search for Elias, going in between each individual aisle and looking at every seating area. I even checked the restroom to see if Elias was there. He wasn't.

After a while, Aspen and I met back up in the main area of the library. We both shook our heads, signaling to each other that neither of us had any luck. We walked out of the library solemnly, and I looked back in a naive hope that Elias would be there. I sighed and turned back around, hoping that Xander would be willing and able to help. I was worried sick.

Once we made it to the pack headquarters, we headed straight towards Xander's office since Aspen said he wouldn't be training at this hour. We went through the halls and eventually made it to the elevator. After getting off on the right floor, Aspen and I quickly walked down to Xander's office, which was right next to Felix's. Aspen knocked on his door and then walked in without waiting for a response.

Xander had his legs crossed over his desk, scoffing when he saw that it was us who walked in. "What the hell do you want?"

Aspen took on a serious tone that I didn't think I'd ever heard her use before, as if she was reporting news to an authority figure. "Head beta Xander, Elias has gone missing."

His eyes widened slightly and his grouchy facade quickly changed into concern. "What the fuck do you mean he went missing? Since when?"

"Last night, he went to the library and never came back," Aspen stated. "Luca told me that he still hadn't come home this morning and when we looked for him at the library, he wasn't there."

Xander's brows were furrowed, but his expression was unreadable. "Damn it. Why didn't you two go with him? Are you sure that he even went to the library?"

"He had to," I said, having faith in my friend. "But he invited us to go with him and we said no." I felt guilty now, knowing that he was missing and it could have been so easily prevented.

"Fuck, what do you want me to do?" Xander sighed in exasperation. "I can't afford to send troops of wolves to search right now, especially when we have no fucking clue where he is."

I could tell that Xander was stressing out a bit, more than I would have expected him to. Even so, he kept making rational decisions with his head instead of his heart and, as mad as it made me in this situation, I respected him for it. Aspen had other thoughts.

"Well, we have to do something! If Elias is in danger, the whole pack could be, too. I doubt Elias would leave on his own will."

Xander looked up at her. "What are you suggesting?"
Before Aspen could respond, another female warrior barged into Xander's office.

"Head beta, sir. The wolves patrolling the pack border just spotted the rogue wolf and another entity crossing over the river and heading into No Man's Land. It is apparent that they came from our pack territory, sir."

Xander, Aspen and I looked at each other, the three of us knowing that this wasn't a coincidence. There was a rogue wolf that had made its way onto the pack grounds, and it took Elias with it.

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

I can't sugarcoat this, guys. Shit's about to go down, I hope you enjoy the ride 👀 If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote and comment what you thought! Until next chapter... - D ♡