Chapter 6 ~ Hannah

Chapter 6 ~ Hannah

“Hi, Dad,” I greet my father when he walks into the garage and I meet him in the waiting room. Sheila is still there and I know she wants to talk to me, but I’ve been avoiding her the whole day. It doesn’t appeal me to talk about that annoying boy that came today. “How’s everything?” I ask him.

He had gone to a meeting with some providers to talk about some agreement with the shop. I don’t know much about that; math is not my thing and neither is economics. I’m just lost when it comes to that, which worries Dad quite a lot as he doesn’t think I’m capable to carry on with the business after he’s gone. However, every time he tries to talk about that issue, I avoid it because I can’t bear the thought of losing him as well.

“Hello, Hannah,” he says back. “It went well, we got a pretty good deal so things should be even better from now onwards,” he explains and I smile encouragingly. The shop does quite well, but Dad is always expecting things to go better. He doesn’t want me to need anything. “How was your day?” He asks putting his arm around my shoulders and walking with me towards his office. He greets Sheila along the way and she waves back at him.

“It was fine,” I tell him, but at my mind goes to Harry and his comments this morning.

He’s arrogant and so full of himself and that repulses me. I mean, how can he be so sure that I’ll fall for him? For someone like him? Let’s forget about his looks and how popular he is, he’s still a little annoying and arrogant prat that doesn’t know how to accept no for an answer. Why would I like someone like him? Why would anyone like someone like him? Clearly, his fans only see his good-looking appearance –because let’s be honest, he’s really handsome, but that doesn’t matter to me so I put that aside– and they don’t know what is wrong with him. The bloke clearly doesn’t know what personal space means! Maybe I should tell my dad I have a stalker now… if he comes back, I’ll tell him and I’ll get a restraining order.

I wonder why he seems so keen on annoying me with his presence. Normally people understand that I don’t want them near. If it’s not for work or something related to uni, I don’t want to have them around. And they leave me alone and in peace. They know I’m not interested in socialising, but it seems that this Harry Boy-band guy is incapable of getting the message. Maybe he has some mental issues. I already thought he was mental, it wouldn’t surprise me. Plus, I know I keep people aside, that I’m closed off and I don’t let them get close to me, but he ignores all that. What keeps him coming back here?

How is it, that Ed and him are friends?

“There’s something bothering you,” he says and I had forgotten I’m with my dad and he’s looking at me very intently.

“Oh, I’m sorry! I was lost in my thoughts. Nothing to worry about,” I hurry to tell him as I see him growing worried. “I solved it already,” at least that’s what I hope.

“You sure? You looked… angry,” he says and I know he’s not only concerned, but curious.

I don’t blame him. I know that since Mum died I haven’t been the same and I know he wants me to be like that, to smile and laugh like I used to do. He wants me to go out and have more friends. He wants me to live like I used to, but I can’t. I don’t see the purpose of wasting my life like that anymore when all I need to do is focus on fulfilling my dream and keeping my promise to my mum. Anything else doesn’t really matter.

I just can’t feel like before anymore.

“It’s okay. Just someone annoying I bumped into this morning,” I tell him smiling to put him at ease. “Anyways, Savannah is staying with us tonight. Her brother is throwing a party and she’s running away. Is that okay with you?” I ask him and he blinks a couple of times before replying.