Chapter 12 ~ Hannah

Chapter 12 ~ Hannah

What am I doing? This morning I hated Harry Boy-band with all my guts and now I’m laughing with him. Not at him, with him. Did I hit my head without noticing it? It’s just that Harry isn’t that awful when you let him speak. Well, when you give him a chance. I guess I was being too hard on him, but I couldn’t help it. He burst into my life, knocking at my door, threating to knock it down and I was scared. I don’t like people getting close and he suddenly was in my face. I didn’t see him coming; he just showed up there and pushed me farther than anyone had in a matter of seconds. Of course I had to react that way; I had to protect myself. But now he’s respecting my boundaries and my personal space, he’s letting me breathe; therefore I can talk to him now and give him a chance.

And he is nice and very charming. He is funny, as well. I find myself joking along, laughing and smiling honestly, like I do with Savannah and I swear I don’t have to pretend this time, I don’t have to make an effort to smile like I’m really having fun. And he seems to be having a good time as well, we almost don’t pay attention to the lovely cappuccinos we have in front of us.

He tells me about his band, how it started and how they are working on this new project. He tells me about the music they make and the dreams he has for the future. He dreams big, his ambitions are very different from mine though I don’t really tell him about that. While he wants to get to the whole world, to be listened to in every corner, I want to touch some lives but see the faces of those whom I touch with my music. I want to hold their hands and look them in the eyes, to see the change my music can make.

I always told mum that I wanted to share my talent but I wanted to see what that could do. Yes, I loved the stage and the rush that it gave me to perform in front of a crowd, but that would never compare to the sparkle in the eyes of a little girl that just learnt to strike properly the chord after I taught her. That kind of accomplishment is what I seek. I don’t care about fame, I don’t care about money, I don’t care about the number of people I get with my music; all I care about is how I can get to those and what I can do with my music. I promised Mum that I will share my talent, that I will make a difference, even if it’s a small one, but I’ll see it, I’ll be present there. And I know she was always proud of me for thinking this way, that’s why my promise to her is so important to me.

But I don’t tell these things to Harry though he asks me if I sing or if I want to be famous.

“That’s not my thing,” I reply evasively. “I just want to be a teacher,” I add because I know he is going to ask more. “So you’re working on your third album, but isn’t it like too soon?” I question to change the subject.

He looks at me a few seconds and I can see he wants to know more about my life choices, but he lets it go and answers my question. “With us there’s no stop or break. We’re always working on something new to give to the fans. They are very supportive but very demanding at the same time. We love them, we want to please them.”

“And it’s thanks to them that you get to do what you love,” I add and he smiles sweetly, his set of dimples showing off.

“Yes. They are incredible. Next week we are heading to America for a few days to do some promo for the last single and our upcoming album,” he explains and I nod. “So you won’t have to deal with me for at least two week,” he adds playfully and I go along with that, wiping my forehead in relief. “Oi! That wasn’t the reaction I was looking for. You were supposed to say ‘no, Harry, don’t say that. It’s great to have you around, in fact, I think I will miss you’. See?”

I can’t help it, I laugh out loud this time because he even tries to imitate me and his high voice is just plain hilarious. For some reason I picture him with a big hat like those girls use during summer, sunglasses and a neckerchief standing in front of a fan making his girl impression and I can’t stop laughing. That would have to be in one of Savannah’s videos, like when Lizzie Bennett makes her mum’s impression in her videos!