Chapter Twenty-Five- Standoff and Knocked Out

.................................................

Owls filled the air the next morning, the sheer number of them overwhelming. But Sirius didn't even bother to look up. He had given up on expecting his parents to send anything. James read out loud his letter from his parents, which included well wishes and treats for all four of them. Peter's mum asked him a lot of questions about his grades, and apparently one of his uncles was traveling and sent him a postcard of dragons which the boy proceeded to pass about. It wasn't until he flicked the card to Remus, gloomily not bothering to glance at the picture, that a small unassuming owl landed in front of Sirius. The Black wasted no time in ripping open the letter, very grateful it was not a howler from his mum, though even that might be preferable to getting absolutely nothing.

Dear Sirius,

I hope you are well. I wanted to let you know that I am now the mother of an adorable baby girl, meaning you are now officially an 'uncle.' An honorary one at least. Show this to anyone else in our family and I won't be able to send you more updates. And yes, that includes showing your brother. This is not my real address but please send letters here as I will get it eventually. Tell me how you are doing and all about Regulus. I simply can't believe he's already in Hogwarts!

Anyways, you better fill me and Nymphadora (yes that's her name, and no I will not change it no matter how you plead.) in. If you behave maybe, just maybe, you can visit her (as long as you promise not to corrupt my precious baby).

Love,

Drommie

Somewhere along the lines, after his first squeal of happiness, James had leaned over to read over his shoulder.

"Congrats, mate," his friend called cheerfully, slapping Sirius on the back.

"What is it?" Peter asked curiously, nearly falling into the pudding in his attempt to lean over the table.

Remus, who either picked up the unnerving ability to read minds suddenly or had just done the math, grinned. "It's your cousin, isn't it? Oh, that's wonderful, Sirius."

Sirius looked up at his friend's attempt at a smile on his far too-pale face. Remus looked ill but the older boy could tell he was truly happy for him which he appreciated. The honorary uncle dumped the envelope, expecting something more and his excitement lowered just slightly, at finding nothing else.

"Yeah, it is wonderful, really the best! But she didn't send any bloody pictures. I must be allowed a proper gush over my perfect niece," he sighed dramatically, flinging himself back into James just as he was about to take a bite of toast, nearly making them both topple backward off their bench.

"You twat!" James cried and gave Sirius a shove, who retaliated by pulling him into a well-deserved noogy. The two boys continued taking the mickey out of each other and tossling one another around good-naturedly, not hearing the unfortunate approach of an unpleasant Slytherin.

"Hand it over, Sirius," the haughty Black demanded pompously. Sirius would have toppled backward this time if not for James quickly pulling him upright so the upside-down image of his annoying cousin righted itself.

"Weeeeeell, good mooooorning to you, Sissy," he replied to her with an obnoxious grin, holding the paper tightly in his first. Her eyes darted to it, then back to him.

"I said hand it over, you annoying little toe rag," she snapped, her 'perfectly pampered face' darkened with a scowl of someone who had gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. Her hand was held out as if she really expected him to just hand over the letter, and Sirius felt his temper flare.