Chapter 6

Tyler's POV

Ever since what happened at dinner five days ago, everyone has been worried about me. The songs on those papers were songs Rachel and I had written. They were the only songs I had in my possession. They were the only piece of Rachel I had left. And now, they're gone.

The door rang and it was Michael.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey."

"What's up?" I said, letting him in.

"I just talked to the guys and I think we're all ready to announce the gathering of the band." He said, smiling. "Make it official."

"Awesome. That's great." I said. "I'll shoot Craig an email and book us a meeting with him."

"Sweet." He said.

Michael's POV

I really am worried about Tyler. I don't know what's going on, but it's something bad. He's always depressed. He doesn't talk, smile, or laugh much.

I try to help him, but he doesn't allow me to. He doesn't allow me in. I wish he would. I feel like he would be so much happier if he would just talk to me. I keep trying to get him to open up.

"I hate seeing you like this, Tyler." I said.

He glanced at me, then back at his computer. "What do you mean?"

"You're sad. I want you to be happy. There's something bothering you. If you would just open up to me, maybe it wouldn't bother you so bad." I said.

"All I have to tell is my sob story and I'm not telling it. What happens, happens." He said.

"Just because you're sad over it, whatever it is, doesn't automatically make it a sob story." I said. "The way you're acting makes me know that it's much worse than just a dumb sob story."

He turned off his computer and set it aside.

"I sent the email." He sat back and acted like I didn't say anything.

"Please," I said.

I forgot to give him his songs back the other night.

I pulled them out of my pocket and sat next to him.

"I forgot to give these back to you the other night." I said, handing them to him.

He looked at the lyrics that you could still see.

"What is it, Tyler?" I whispered and wrapped my arm around his shoulders.

A tear fell from his eye and I wiped it away.

"Rachel." He said. "Just a couple weeks ago, she died in a car accident. She was hit by a drunk driver. She was my best friend. We were planning on being singers together."

"Tyler," I said. I grabbed his chin and made him look at me. "That's not a sob story."

He looked away. "She's the reason I'm where I am right now. And I feel like I've betrayed her. We were supposed to do this together. I'm doing it without her, I feel like that's wrong. But then, I want to think that she wants me to be happy. I'm happy to be doing this right now. I just hate doing it without her."

He stood up. I stood up as well.

"Look, I can see why you feel like you're betraying her. But, it sounds like she was a great friend. I think she would want you to be as happy as you can be." I said.

"I wasn't going to do it. I was sitting in a college office when I got Craig's call. I told myself I was done trying. And here I am."

"Sometimes I feel like it would be easier to end it. Go with her."

"Don't say that. Think about the pain that losing Rachel caused you. You don't want to cause anyone else that pain. Your parents, friends,... me." I said.

"But, everything is so difficult. Life is so difficult." He said.

I pushed Tyler against the wall and without hesitation, kissed him.

I pulled away, my hands still cupped on his cheeks.

"Please, don't speak that way."