23

chapter twenty three.
the mastermind.

3rd pov / insomnia hotline goes to testing

let's rewind back to the time when insomnia hotline was just a sketch.

"i'm a genius!" beomgyu yelled out loud in their student council room. the president beside him, jeon jungkook raised his brows and giggled at how proud he was with his idea.

"insomnia hotline!" he proposed, "where students can call in when they can't sleep at night!" he explained. jungkook nodded his head then walked out of the room, "have fun! i'll be out now." he smiled, about to leave now to hang out with his older friends that were once part of the school's student council and are now college students.

"well?" kai asked, "we should give it a test first!" he added, the others looked at each other, and by that, i mean, just the three of themㅡ beomgyu, taehyun and kai. all the other members left to go home already but their passionate hearts stayed because they wanted to change the school.

"well, i do know someone who could find a person to try it on," taehyun told all of them. what an idea!

taehyun and rian, oh you wouldn't expect this but they actually get along with each other. they even have a little fling in them, because everyone needs something to cool them down, and rian won't just settle with smoking and beating other gangster students up.

it's still a mystery, but my guts are saying that rian has a crush on her junior, taehyun! and thanks to her heart being easily melted by this boy, taehyun can use it to an advantage and have rian help with target searching.

the next day, rian and taehyun met up at the back of the school whilst rian was having her regular session of smoking during lunch.

"well, have you found anyone?" taehyun asked rian, her guy friends chuckled and shook their heads. they can't make fun of taehyun because rian's the one superior around here. becauseㅡwellㅡ she's pretty, a bad ass, and also a kind bitch inside. what a combo.

"i do have a seatmate in biology class who looks fucking haggard," rian squinted her eyes, smiling to herself, "but i don't know for sure. maybe it's because she smokes weed. who knows?" she joked around.

yunhee just looked really haggard. she didn't have insomnia back then, so it was pure coincidence that rian just randomly decided to pick her.

"well, do some research. please?" taehyun asked, a favor for the almighty rian might sound hard, but not for him. easy-peasy. because tigers can eventually get tamed, and he has captured rian's heart lowkey.

doing research wasn't really easy for rian since all the students in her batch saw her as some kind of bullying queen, so she couldn't reach out to ask about information.

but there was one person that rian could talk to, and that was.. jaehoon!

so much drama that hasn't been revealed up until this chapter. rian and jaehoon "were" actually friends as children, they used to live next door but not until rian had to move somewhere else, but it was still somewhere in the hood. they weren't that close, but rian knows that jaehoon has already witnessed the honey of her beating before. and during interrogation, he couldn't help but just admit that something was going on, and that there was beef with yunhee and soobin's relationship.

actually, if you haven't noticed yet, jaehoon has been pretty much invisible, and he wasn't even in the characters chapter. lol. well, this explains it. he's keeping quiet and invisible because he was the one that helped started this mess of a book. without his single spark, insomnia hotline wouldn't have been for go yunhee at the start but for someone else.

"promise you won't tell yunhee, okay?" was jaehoon's last words to rian before she set him free from her chest-crushing feet.

well, rian told yunhee because she's a savage. and that was when yunhee started getting insomnia. rian could dig deeper because of this, and she followed behind eunbin wherever she went. andㅡ

click click.

pictures that broke yunhee's heart was sent. but does it matter? they're doing this to her so she can cure her heart in the end.

beomgyu couldn't initiate in making yunhee call, so he had someone else do it for him. and now, here's the reaaal destiny/coincidence type of shit about to come your way.

beomgyu and yeonjun were friends back in middle school, but yunhee had no idea! because beomgyu never hung out whenever they played in the playground, because his parents were strict. and yeonjun didn't really like telling yunhee about his friends, because he only wanted her to know about himㅡ his life.

but guess who was in love with yunhee but also didn't leave a contact number so they could keep talking even from a long distance? yeonjun's stupid ass, of course.

beomgyu managed to slip in to yeonjun's emergency contact number which is his dad's phone. genius idea from a k-drama by the way. beomgyu called yeonjun almost every week because they had to keep talking about how things were going.

"how's yunhee?"

beomgyu's answers to yeonjun's questions went from "oh she's lonely by herself," to "oh she's dating someone now" to "her boyfriend's cheating on her lol" going from middle school to high school. some real loyal brotherhood updating over there.

but exactlyㅡhere comes the destiny partㅡas they get the tea about soobin and eunbin, yeonjun moves back to their city and transfers to the same school they're all going to.

"would you like to be the hotliner that yunhee's going to contact?"

heck yeah! what an opportunity!! thanks beomgyu, now i can make yunhee feel better as i keep my identity a secret. and oh, wait. i actually get transferred to her classroom thanks to mr. kim's amazing, trusting and open mind. by that i mean beomgyu especially asked to move yeonjun to yunhee's class as they do their experiment.

youth nowdays, right? yeah, why not give them a chance?

the mastermind, choi beomgyu. being the one who co-produced all the drama that's been happening for the last 22 chapters.

okay, fast forward now to today orㅡ tonight. as yunhee tells her story to yeonjun on the phone, do you think everything is about to be over?

the book is coming to an end, because beomgyu has successfully done his mission, plus, yeonjun and yunhee can reclaim their long lost first love. soobin gets to apologize and reflect to his mistakes and finds a new friend.

now, it's time to continue the journey to fix the ruined high school life of the subject, go yunhee, and the people around her.

if you need help, reach out to family, friends, mental health professionals, or a local helpline.