6

chapter six.
mr. moon.

 moon

MR. MOON: me, you belong with me

YUNHEE: [stares at ceiling] ...

MR. MOON: or if you're not buying that, then you belong in your family

YUNHEE: [chuckles] sounds about right

4:17 a.m.

¤

"good morning!" mom greeted me with the warmest smile, pointing at the food in the table, "you're up late." she pouted, "that's all yours. your brother ate and left to meet with his girlfriend."

"it's saturday, waking up late is okay," i complained, glancing at my haggard reflection on the mirror before sitting down. "i already signed your school trip," she told me instead of telling me that there's no excuse to waking up late. and i nodded, smiling, "thanks."

"a family just finished moving in, by the way." she informed, and i let out a complaining groan.

i looked at her and she chuckled at me, washing the dishes from earlier, "i don't want to give them food," i looked back to my breakfast. and just so you know, it's apartment tradition that if anyone moves in, the neighbours give the new tenant food so they feel welcomed.

i personally have only given the family next door some black bean sauce noodles when my brother celebrated on getting his job. and i gotta say, it was hella embarrassing when they asked me not to give them food again because they weren't interested.

"what do you think they'll like?" mom asked, and i shrugged my shoulders, "your kimchi?" i asked, "i don't know." i chuckled. because.. how would my rejected ass know?

"they had a son about your age, though," she told me as i swallowed my food, "and?"

"his hair was blue. he must be a model," mom almost sounded like she was daydreaming when she said that, but it sounded like she wanted to make fun of me because i could never hit up that guy because i have a boyfriend already.

"give him pepsi or something," i replied in all bore.

¤

because of my stupid and disrepectful morning ass, it's now me standing on the front door of room 402, holding on the kimchi tupperware to give them. i just hope they don't reject me because i am already traumatized, okay?

i took my breath of courage and knocked on their door. please be a mother, and please be friendly, and please accept the food!

the door opened and i looked up from the MALE's feet up to their face.

blue hair, i knew it but i wasn't expecting it to actually be him because that would actually be too unrealistic for my life.

choi yeonjun answered the door.

"what's up?" he asked, and my heart started to race again. fuckㅡ why is he everywhere?! i swearㅡ he must be doing this on purpose, right??

"you're going to live here?!" i asked, pulling the kimchi to myself. he chuckled and looked at the tupperware, "are you going to give me that?" he asked, and i paused before slowly handing it over to him, "i.. yeah." i replied.

when yeonjun picked up the tupperware to his arms, he finally answered, "we found out it was vacant.. and i wanted to go back to this city too."

"why'd you even leave in the first place?" i asked, hoping he'd answer even though it seemed kind of private.

"i'll tell you some other time. thanks for the kimchi!" yeonjun smiled, then closed the door shut to my face. i went speechless at the empty and quiet hallway, wishing i knew.

¤

"now, everyone get in pairs!" our chemistry teacher tells us, everybody started standing up. i quickly look at yieung and gaeun from afar, hoping that one of them would look at me and want to pair up. but they were already hugging each other, not even bothering to look at me and feel sorry. i gulp on my saliva as i look at yeonjun. but he and beomgyu are already talking to each other, laughing.

i purse my lips as i look somewhere else, but i look back at yeonjun as i notice him look at me. he stopped laughing and gave that same blank expression again, like i ruined his mood. but he soon smiled at me, that same smile from last time too.

"go yunhee," i hear the familiar low voice call my name, i look to the side and pretend i wasn't affected by yeonjun. it's lee rian. "you got a pair?" she asked me, and i shook my head, surprised as i smile. "and you?" i ask, obviously happy that she wants to pair up with me, i guess?

"it's us then," she says, taking the empty seat beside me, "your friends are fucking shit." rian added, sighing in pity. i awkwardly chuckle, i agree but i can't tell her because it hurts my pride.

"shit. you can't blame them, we're a trio, you know?" i smile to keep my cool image. rian gave me a fake smile, "that's really convincing," she sarcastically says- "and funny as hell." i shut my lips. i can't talk back to rian anymore, because she's just saying facts. it would be really pathetic of me to deny things any further.

"have you tried insomnia hotline?" she asked. and i'm suddenly reminded of yieung and gaeun ridiculing it like heck. 'bitch, do you have insomnia?' - "fuck you, i'm not like that!' - 'we're really unfriending you.' i smile bitterly and scoff softly without my control, "yeah." i answered rian.

it would be nice if rian was actually a best friend of mine. but i guess she's just naturally a good person to everyone and i'm not any special from the others. but hey, she paired up with me! and for some reason, it makes me feel better. "how is it?" she asked, taking the sheet of paper we're going to share in the pair work.

"honestly, awesome." i answered, holding a thumbs up. rian giggled at me, saying- "you're cute." i giggle as well. i would spend all my effort to be friends with rian,

but i'm scared that she might leave just like yeonjun did before, and i might have to be all by myself again.

if you need help, reach out to family, friends, mental health professionals, or a local helpline.

insomnia hotline⠀ choi yeonjunOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara