xxxii

I opened my eyes to see the cabin, making me extremely confused. I heard a gasp come from the in front of the couch. 

"Mike?" It was El.

"El?" She looked up and immediately ran to me, engulfing me in a hug.

"Are you okay?" I asked frantically, hoping she wasn't hurt. 

"Yes." She replied before pulling away. "But something's wrong. How did you-"

"Found you." A deep voice said, making us jump.

I jumped, holding onto her hand but making sure to keep her protected behind me.

Billy stepped out from Hopper's room, looking inhuman.

"You shouldn't have looked for me." He said, stalking towards us. "Because now I see you. Now we can all see you."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, pushing El back and stepping completely in front of her. 

"You... let us in. And now... you are going to have to let us stay."

I continued walking backwards, listening to El cry.

"Don't you see? All this time... we've been building it. We've been building it. For you. All that work, all that pain... all of it... for you. And now it's time. Time to end it. And we are going to end you."

By now we were backed up to the wall. I glanced over his shoulder to see the radio on the bookshelf. I reached for Mike's mind, trying to reach the Upper World. "Mike." I said quietly, blood dripping from my nose. "You need to get her out."

"And when you are gone, we are going to end your friends."

"No." El cried. "No!"

"And then we are going to end... everyone."

"Mike!" I yelled. The radio crackled to life and I knew it was working. "Mike, get her out now!"

"Get away!" El yelled, throwing up her arms and sending Billy flying.

I shot forward with a gasp, clutching my throat. I realized I was in a car, on the way to the festival.

The four adults all turned to stare at me with concern as I caught my breath.

"What the hell happened?" Hopper asked from the driver's seat, glancing back at me every once in a while.

"I don't know." I told him, wondering the same thing. "But they know about us."

"Who?"

"I don't know." I shook my head, trying to make sense of the situation. I knew there was something off but I didn't know what. "I guess we'll find out soon, though."

I leaned into the car door and closed my eyes, cutting off any questions anyone else had. 

I was completely drained from the constant panic attacks, and El calling me from such a distance only made things worse.

We drove the rest of the way in silence, and I could tell that everyone was uncomfortable, but I was too tired to try to find out why.

I looked out the windshield and saw the upcoming festival, hoping that they were going to be there.

I held myself closer, feeling a little cold. I guess I had just never noticed the temperature drop when I was out with friends.

We pulled into the festival and parked, everyone trying to get out at the same time.

"Stay here. Go over the plans with Smirnoff." Hopper yelled at Murray. "You too, Ev. We'll be right back." I sighed, but I knew I'd end up going whether he liked it or not.